During my Ph.D. I investigated the rare earth tetraborides (RB4), which crystallise in a tetragonal structure. The R ions form an array of squares and triangles which is topologically equivalent to the Shastry-Sutherland lattice. This is one of the rare examples of the Shastry-Sutherland lattice being experimentally realised. The competition between magnetic and quadrupolar interactions present in the material leads to a number of novel and unusual properties to arise.
- D. Brunt, G. Balakrishnan, A. R. Wildes, B. Ouladdiaf, N. Qureshi, and O. A. Petrenko, Phys. Rev. B 95 024410 (2017).
- O. A. Petrenko, O. Young, D. Brunt, G. Balakrishnan, P. Manuel, D. D. Khalyavin, and C. Ritter Phys. Rev. B 95 104442 (2017).
- D. Brunt, G. Balakrishnan, D. A. Mayoh, M. R. Lees, D. Gorbunov, N. Qureshi, and O. A. Petrenko, Scientific Reports 8, 232 (2018).
Magnetic properties of frustrated Shastry-Sutherland magnets; rare earth tetraborides: Download Thesis.
- Highly Frustrated Magnetism (HFM) "Characterisation and Crystal Growth of Rare-Earth Tetraborides", Cambridge (2014)
- Frontiers of Unconventionial Superconductivity and Magnetism (FUSM) "Magnetic Properties of Frustrated Shastry-Sutherland Magnets, the Rare Earth Tetraboride" Bristol (2015)
- European Conference for Neutron Scattering (ECNS) "Magnetic Structure of Frustrated Shastry-Sutherland Magnets, Neodymium Tetraboride" Zaragoza (2015)
- Neutron Muon User Meeting (NMUM) "Magnetic Structure of the Shastry-Sutherland Magnet; Neodymium Tetraboride" Warwick (2017)
- 2nd ISIS Strudent Meeting "Magnetic Excitation in the Rare Earth Tetraborides" Abingdon (2015)
- Magnetism "Field Induced Incommensurate Magnetic Structure in Holmium Tetraboride" Sheffield (2016)
- Theoretical and Experimental Magnetism Meeting (TEMM) "Magnetic Structure of the Shastry-Sutherland Magnet; Neodymium Tetraboride" Abingdon (2017)
Higher Research Scientist - National Physical Laboratory