I am an environmental and health economist researching urban policy issues, such as lead poisoning.
Conserving resources and reducing pollution are among the most pressing challenges facing society. Designing programs to achieve these goals requires an understanding of 1) pollution damages and 2) individuals' and firms' compliance behavior.
I investigate these issues using large administrative datasets and experimental and quasi-experimental methods.
- Environmental Economics
- Health Economics
(2021) "Infrastructure Upgrades and Lead Exposure: Do Cities Face Trade-Offs When Replacing Water Mains?" (with Jennifer Heissel) (pdf). Accepted at Journal of Environmental Economics and Management.
- (2021) "Infrastructure Upgrades and Lead Exposure: Do Cities Face Trade-Offs When Replacing Water Mains?" (with Jennifer Heissel) (pdf). Accepted at Journal of Environmental Economics and Management.
- (2021) "The Price and Allocation Effects of Targeted Mandates: Evidence from Lead Hazards" (pdf). Accepted at Journal of Urban Economics.
- (2020) "Collective Reputation in Trade: Evidence from the Chinese Dairy Industry" (with Jie Bai and Yukun Wang) (pdf). NBER WP 26283. Accepted at The Review of Economics and Statistics.
- "Policy changes and child blood lead levels by age 2 for children born in Illinois 2001-2014" (with Ali Abbasi and Bridget Pals). American Journal of Public Health 110, no. 5 (2020): 734-740. (link)
(2020) "Do Conservation Policies Work? Evidence from Residential Water Use" (with Oliver Browne and Michael Greenstone). In Environmental and Energy Policy and the Economy, volume 2. University of Chicago Press. (pdf).
Lead Poisoning: Consequences and Prevention Policy
(2021) "Hassles and Environmental Health Screenings: Evidence from Lead Tests in Illinois" (pdf). Submitted.
- (2021) "The Spillover Effects of Pollution: How Exposure to Lead Affects Everyone in the Classroom" (with Claudia Persico and Sandra Spirovska) (pdf). IZA DP No. 13133. Submitted.
Effects of Regulation on Firms and Households
(2020) "Enforcement and Deterrence with Certain Detection: An Experiment in Water Conservation Policy" (with Oliver Browne, Michael Greenstone, and Olga Rostapshova). Email for draft.