THE DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGY IS PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THE ANNUAL SOCIOLOGY DEBATE BETWEEN
Professor Steve Fuller¹ (University of Warwick) and Professor Frank Furedi² (University of Kent).
On 'The Role Of The Intellectual'
A debate on the role and function of the intellectual in contemporary society and public life. Designed to appeal/cater to an interdisciplinary audience.
Key questions the debate will address include the following:
- What does it mean to be an 'intellectual'?
- Is the intellectual an 'endangered species'?
- Is a dumbing down taking place in intellectual life?
- What is the relationship between the intellectual and the academic?
- Do intellectuals have to be grumpy old men and women, or can younger people join in?
- (Why) Is sociology central to the problem of the intellectual?
Date: Monday 16 May 2005
Venue: Warwick Arts Centre Conference Room, The University of Warwick
Time: 5.30-7.00 pm
All are welcome. Drinks reception to follow the event
1. Author of (2005) ‘The Intellectual’. London: Icon Books Ltd.
2. Author of (2004) ‘Where Have All the Intellectuals Gone: Confronting 21st Century Philistinism’. London: Continuum.
For further information:
Please contact: Hazel Rice (Department of Sociology) via tel: 02476 528 305 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit the website at http://www.warwick.ac.uk/sociology/news/annualdebate/