Planned VPN Work - from Monday, 19th December 2022
We are carrying out planned upgrades to our campus VPN over the next two weeks as part of our University's response to heightened security concerns across the Higher Education sector.
The work will include two elements - if you need to access VPN for specific applications you will need to 'opt-in' by registering via this formLink opens in a new window. We are also adding Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA), requiring users to authenticate, as we extend MFA to several remote-access systems.
As part of the change to MFA, all staff and student customers must now enter the following connection details, when using the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client: campusvpn.warwick.ac.uk/staffLink opens in a new window
This change will not impact your University email using Office 365 and managed desktop users can receive updates as usual when on campus.
Please note that SBL (Start Before Login) will no longer be available, as a consequence of the change to MFA. Customers are advised to login to Windows first and then start and login to the VPN after, for the best possible user experience on the managed desktop.
The Warwick campus VPN service:
For Best Practice Use and guidance:
- Provides a secure method to connect to the University campus network regardless of where you are connecting from.
- Works over a wireless or wired internet connection.
- Is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, except during planned maintenance.
- Is supported during normal support hours (8:30 - 17:30 Monday to Thursday, 8:30 - 16:30 Friday).
- Enforces a maximum continuous connection of 12 hours.
- Is NOT available from Resnet, the Residential Network
- When working from home (WFH) you should be connecting your managed desktop to the VPN regularly to ensure optimal stability of your managed desktop. This will help to sync your offline files, application and group policy updates and provide a similar experience as when working on campus.
- As part of the MFA log-in you'll need to use your uxxxxxxx:@live.warwick.ac.uk address
Note: the University's Acceptable Use Policy (the regulation governing the use of University computing facilities) prohibits the use of the campus VPN to circumvent blocks on internet content in place in other countries.