Information and guidance for academic staff
To facilitate resilience of our teaching and support for students, all reading lists should be submitted online using the Talis Aspire system, and all core and recommended readings must be available electronically – either as e-books, e-journal articles or copyright-cleared chapter / article scans.
There is lots of help and support available to you – contact the Reading List Team at readinglists dot library at warwick dot ac dot uk or your Academic Support Librarian for further help and advice.
The recommended deadline for submitting Term 3 and Summer reading lists was Monday 3 April.
Although the deadline has passed, we are still accepting lists.
Please click Publish as soon as possible to ensure your list is visible to students and to alert the library of your changes. You can make further edits at any time, even after the list is initially published – every time you publish changes to the list, the changes become visible to students and the Library is alerted and can take any required action.
We will still check lists received after the deadline, but due to the workload involved we may not be able to ensure that we have purchased the relevant items before the beginning of next term.
All 2022/23 reading lists will remain visible to students (even after rollover) until September 2023 to ensure continuity of support for resits and for PGT activity.
Rollover to 23/24
Rollover was completed on 3 May, which created new draft lists for 23/24.
If the status of your 22/23 list was draft on Sunday 23 April, we archived it in preparation for the Rollover. If this causes you an issue, please contact us at readinglists dot library at warwick dot ac dot uk.
If the status of your 22/23 list was published with unpublished changes on May 2nd, we published it on your behalf to ensure that the most recent version carried over into the new draft for 23/24.
As of May 3rd 2023, please ensure you are making any changes to the 23/24 version of the list.
The deadline for Term 1 lists for 23/24 will be Monday 31 July.
- The recommended deadline for submitting Term 3 and Summer reading lists was Monday April 3rd, however we are still accepting lists
- Submitting lists is done by publishing them in Talis, which alerts the library that they are ready to be checked
- We will still check lists received after the deadline, but due to the workload involved we may not be able to ensure that we have purchased the relevant items before the beginning of the relevant term
If you need any support or advice with your reading list(s), contact your Academic Support Librarian or email readinglists dot library at warwick dot ac dot uk.
Check any unpublished lists you may have for 2023/24 and publish any edits before Monday 31 July. This list will display all reading lists you have been responsible for. Please contact us on readinglists dot library at warwick dot ac dot uk if any of the following apply:
- your module reading list is not showing in your My Lists page
- a module is not running in 2023/24, or it is no longer needed
- you are no longer the lead for a module reading list
Publish the list by clicking the ‘Publish’ button.
As of 3 May 2023, please ensure you are making any changes to the 23/24 version of the list.
If you need any support or advice with your reading list(s), contact your Academic Support Librarian or email us.
A large proportion of peer universities have already adopted Talis for all reading lists and just over 50% of module leaders here at Warwick already use it. We also know that many students prefer using Talis Aspire to support their learning experience.
Benefits for academic staff
- One port of call to notify the Library and request reading list items, including scanned material
- Simple to create, manage and edit your list
- Flexibility in your list structure
- Allows you to link to any type of resource
- Share your list easily with students
- Reading list dashboard allows you to track engagement with your list
- Integrates with Moodle or your module website
Benefits for your students
- Provides them with direct links to reading material
- Clear guidance on reading expectations and importance
- Ability to add their own notes and prioritise reading
- Consistent experience across modules
- Frees time for independent searching
- Readings are available in the right quantities
The Talis Aspire Reading List system enables you to create dynamic reading lists for your students, providing them with direct links to all their required reading materials. Using Talis Aspire for your reading lists will improve the visibility of lists for students and provide a consistent approach across modules. Your lists will also be automatically checked by the Library allowing us to provide access to the materials and resources your students need.
How the Library can help you
- Assist with the setup of your Reading Lists on Aspire
- Check for availability of e-books and most recent editions of key readings
- Digitise book chapters or journal articles as required
- Provide full training and ongoing support
Contact us at readinglists dot library at warwick dot ac dot uk to arrange 1:1 or group/department training - this is currently being offered online (via Teams or similar).
The Reading List Team or your Academic Support Librarian can also offer further help and advice.