It is shocking but thefts do happen, even in the Library, somewhere that can feel like a home away from home. The best possible advice for the security of your items, like in all public spaces is ‘not to leave your valuables unattended for a moment'.
Keep it Safe event
Visit our exhibition stand in the main Library on Thursday 11 May between 10:00 am and 1:00 pm. We will be talking about safety and giving away freebies!
The Library team will be joined by representatives from Warwickshire and West Midlands Police, Community Safety, Wellbeing, Report+Support and our Residential Community Team. Come and talk to us and find out how to keep you and your belongings safe. We'll be handing out some goodies, and can't wait to chat with you!
Some helpful tips
- Valuable items such as Beats headphones, Apple Macs etc. are more likely to be targeted by criminals
- Laptop trackers only work if the laptop is switched on, so cannot always be relied upon as being traceable
- Apple Mac chargers are classed as low-value items. These tend to get left behind unintentionally and can eventually end up in the lost property bins. Popular items like these should be personalised so you have a better chance of reclaiming them
- Less than half of the items stolen are Apple products – it is a misconception that thieves only target Apple items
- Tell a member of staff if you notice any suspicious behaviour
- Read more top tips from our student blogger Kayvon
You may be seeing Crooks the magpie a lot more around the Library. This magpie is a helpful reminder to not give thieves a chance and that your valuables should be kept on you at all times.
Meet Crooks the magpie:
- Roams campus
- Prone to collecting shiny objects
- Opportunist – will swoop on valuables left unattended
- A fictional character designed to represent thieves!