Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Health and wellbeing

Wellbeing at Warwick

One of the highlights of a University experience may be having the opportunity to study abroad as part of your studies. Whilst this provides you with a great opportunity to immerse yourself within the UK culture, any change (even positive ones) could produce stress – particularly in cases when you are distanced from your familiar surroundings and social networks; which makes it important to plan for how to look after your emotional wellbeing during this period.

Sometimes it feels like we only should focus on the positives and the opportunities of this experience, but naturally there will be some negatives and down-sides and a coping person will notice these too. Seeking help at an early stage can help to make sure that they do not become more problematic.

You can find out more about support offered from Wellbeing Student Support Services.


Disability is a term which encompasses diversity. Hearing and visual impairments, mental health difficulties, dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia and dysgraphia (Specific Learning Difficulties), mobility impairments, Autistic Spectrum Disorders and 'unseen' disabilities such as asthma, epilepsy and diabetes, for example, all come under this broad heading.

The University is aware that many people do not think of themselves as 'disabled'. Nonetheless, we strongly encourage students to declare any difficulty, condition or impairment that could impact on their studies in order that they can be made aware of possible entitlements and the support that is available to assist them to achieve their potential in university study.

The Disability Services website contains information relevant to students with disabilities (accommodation, teaching and learning, accessibility). There is a dedicated Disability Services team that provides support and guidance on matters relating to disabilities and learning difficulties.

Health care

To find local dentists and opticians visit the NHS website. Dental treatment and eye care are subsidised but not free under the NHS. Dentists only take a limited number of NHS patients and can have a long waiting list, so many people have to pay the full cost for treatment. If you wear spectacles or contact lenses, it is advisable to have a copy of your latest prescription with you in the UK in case of an emergency. It is illegal to prescribe contact lenses for a patient if the prescription is over 2 years old.

It may be necessary to seek medical advice when the Health Centre, or your local GP practise is closed. Each GP practise will have an 'out of hours' emergency contact number. You can phone 111 for a 24 hour helpline which can offer medical advice for problems which you do not think require immediate discussion with the doctor. However for emergencies phone for an ambulance.

In an emergency on campus, 999 calls are routed via the University exchange so that Security staff can guide emergency vehicles to the correct location. Mobile phone users should ring the Main Gate (024 7652 2222). If a mobile phone is used to contact the emergency services directly, please ensure that University Security is alerted as soon as possible.

Pharmacists in the UK dispense medicines that your GP prescribes. You will have to pay for your prescription medicine. Please check with your local pharmacy. It is worth noting that antibiotics are not sold over the counter at pharmacies, you will have to see a doctor to get a prescription before obtaining these. If you have a minor condition, it is often quicker to seek advice from Pharmacy staff instead of seeing a GP. The nearest pharmacy to campus is Boots in Cannon Park.