Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Specific Accommodation Requirements

Students in off campus accommodation at the University of Warwick

If you have accommodation requirements as a result of a disability you can be considered for on-campus accommodation, often for the duration of your course. The Disability Team can support you to access appropriate on-campus accommodation.

Have you got supporting evidence?

Whether you’re a current student or an applicant to Warwick, you must provide evidence so that we can support you with your accommodation requirements. Please note that we cannot support students for a specific hall of residence.

You need to submit recent medical evidence that is written by your GP, consultant or other medical professional that:

  • details the impact of your disability on a day to day basis;
  • states that the specific requirement, e.g., an en-suite or fridge, is a need due to a disability;
  • is typed on headed paper and signed by a professional.

If you don't currently have up to date evidence, you can ask a medical practitioner to complete a medical evidence formLink opens in a new window for disability purposes. The Disability Team and other Wellbeing Support teams will discuss your requirements with you and liaise with Warwick Accommodation to make a recommendation for on-campus accommodation.

What support can I get?

The Disability Team can support you to access appropriate on-campus accommodation including:

  • an en-suite room
  • a room with a hoist
  • a room in a quieter area
  • a room with level access facilities
  • a room with an accessible kitchen
  • a room in a flat with automatic doors
  • a room with a flashing alarm and vibrating pillow
  • a room with grab rails, wash/dry toilet or other adaptations
  • a fridge in your room to store medication or for other disability related purpose

Where relevant, rooms in the same flat can be also allocated to personal carers and these will be charged at the standard student rate.

Please contact us if you are considering Warwick for your first or insurance choice so that we can ensure adaptations are in place well before the start of the academic year. Please note that self-contained flats aren't available on campus and there are no catered halls.

Warwick student smiling

Current student

If you are a current student, you are encouraged to contact the Disability Team through the Wellbeing Portal by selecting the option for an enquiry for students with disabilities.

Women in conversation

Applicant to Warwick

If you are an applicant to Warwick, please register for an IT account and then visit the Wellbeing PortalLink opens in a new window to submit an enquiry/message by selecting the option for students with a disability.

Remember to complete your application for on-campus accommodation

Please note you will still need to complete an application for on-campus accommodation with Warwick AccommodationLink opens in a new window to indicate your preferences and provide any other relevant information. Being supported for accommodation doesn't constitute an application for accommodation.

Need help with the costs?

Students who might incur additional costs for on-campus en-suite accommodation as a direct result of a disability can apply for a subsidy towards those costs on disability grounds. The en-suite subsidy is not means tested and students who have living carers can also apply for their carer accommodation.

If you are likely to need personal care, such as help with toileting, cooking and dressing and/or specialist equipment, then this will need to be provided by agencies from outside of the University. Learn more about personal care support in England.

Home students

If you are a UK student, we encourage you to contact your home Social Services Department to arrange a care assessment.

Non-UK students

If you are a non-UK student, you are advised to arrange any personal care support prior to arriving on campus. We can provide some contact details before your travel.

Most bathrooms in accessible rooms have been fitted with appropriate adaptations including walk-in showers, drop down shower seats, anti-slip flooring, grab rails, shower seats, height adjustable sinks, and wash/dry toilets.

The Residential Community Team

The Residential Community Team is formed of the Head of Residential Community, six dedicated Residential Community Coordinators, two Administrators and 92 Residential Community Assistants who are there to provide a variety of support channels and ensure your stay in the residences is a pleasant and uninterrupted experience.

The Resident Community Team are a good first point of contact for any issues students might face and are able to offer informed advice and a sympathetic ear.

Assistance animals

We recognise that you may need to use an assistance animal and, under the Equality Act 2010Link opens in a new window, assistance animals are permitted on University of Warwick grounds.

You are required to give us advance notice of your intention to regularly bring an assistance animal onto campus by completing a checklist application. This will enable the University to ensure that appropriate support, and any necessary control measures, are put into place.

Assistance animals must be registered and trained through a recognised organisation such as Assistance Dogs UKLink opens in a new window, Guide DogsLink opens in a new window or Assistance Dogs InternationalLink opens in a new window.