Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Information for Prospective Students

Disclosing a Disability

We encourage students to disclose any disabilities at application, to ensure that their support needs and reasonable adjustments can be discussed in advance. We strongly encourage applicants and students to be open about their disability related support requirements and work with us to ensure those can be met for the duration of their studies. The University of Warwick and the Disability Team are committed to equal opportunities and an inclusive environment for all. We make proactive contact with applicants who have declared a disability prior to enrolment, to encourage a conversation about support and reasonable adjustments, as well as to plan ahead for any physical adaptations required for example in the Halls of Residence. Specific reasonable adjustments such as exam arrangements are put in place post enrolment after students have met with us.

You can find more information about support for specific disabilities on these pagesLink opens in a new window. You can also find some useful information to help with the transition to University in this NADP publication, covering language, terminology and processes you can expect in Higher Education.


In order to put in place support, applicants are asked to provide supporting evidence that refers to the nature and impact of a disability. For Specific Learning Differences such as dyslexia, this is usually an assessment conducted by a qualified assessor, for ADD/ADHD or ASD, a diagnostic report by a psychiatrist or a medical letter. For medical conditions such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME), diabetes or Crohn's Disease a medical letter from a GP, specialist nurse or consultant is suitable. For mental health disabilities, it could be a letter by a medical professional confirming a diagnosis and the impact on study. If you don't already have any evidence you can ask a medical professional to complete this medical evidence form that you can then submit to the Disability team.

You can see more information about supporting evidence here. JCQ Form 8's, Individual Learning Plans and Education, Health and Care Plans can provide some information but students will be advised about updating their assessment, to provide more relevant information about their needs at University.

Disabled Student Allowances

Disabled students can apply for DSAs at the same time as their general student finance application. You can see more information about eligibility and how to apply on the website here and from Disability Services here.

You can check your eligibility for DSAs on the Disabled Student Support Eligibility Checker here.

If you need Section 5 of your DSA application signed and stamped by a Disability Adviser, please send it via our messaging system 

Applicants through Clearing and Adjustment with DSAs

If you've applied through clearing and have DSAs already in place but need to change your suppliers, you must contact your Needs Assessor as soon as possible.

You also need to contact your funding body to inform them of your change of institution. You can see how to do this for Student Finance England here and Student Funding Wales here.

Specific Accommodation Requirements

The Disability Team can support disabled applicants to access accommodation that meets their needs. This could include an ensuite room, a small fridge to store medication or an accessible room with a hoist. There is provision for accessible rooms in different Halls of Residence on campus.

Please note that all the accommodation is self-catered and no meals are provided in any of the Residencies.

Applicants with disability related requirements are advised to follow the Applicants with a Disability process so they can be supported with a suitable allocation. Appropriate supporting evidence is required for this process to evidence any disability related requirements. You can also see a flowchart of the supported accommodation process here.

The University offers an Ensuite On Campus Accommodation SubsidyLink opens in a new window to students requiring ensuite accommodation for themselves or their carers as a result of a disability. All students (Home, EU/International) who are eligible on disability grounds can apply for the subsidy on an annual basis for their accommodation and their carer accommodation when applicable. The ensuite subsidy is not a means tested process but it can only be awarded for the current academic year.

Applicants with Personal Care Support Needs

Applicants with personal care needs (i.e. assistance with daily living tasks such as showering, getting dressed, meal preparation, washing, shopping etc..) are advised to make arrangements prior to commencing their studies and ensure they have secured sufficient funding to cover the cost of those arrangements. The University provides academic enabling support but does not offer personal care support/assistance and cannot cover any related costs. Accommodation for personal carers can be provided by arrangement in the same block the student will be allocated to, students are responsible to cover any costs relating to their accommodation and that of their carers but they can apply for the ensuite subsidy for their room as well as their carers' accommodation.

Home fee-paying applicants are advised to contact their home area Social Services Department to request a community assessment to discuss a suitable care package which could include provision and funding for a resident or visiting personal carer. International applicants are advised to contact UK based personal care agencies prior to coming to University to discuss their needs and any related costs. Care agency assessments and availability of carers varies, therefore, applicants are strongly advised to start making these arrangements and securing funding well in advance.

There are some external organisations that depending on eligibility could offer assistance towards personal care costs. Those include the Snowdon TrustLink opens in a new window and the Student Health AssociationLink opens in a new window.

The Disability Team will facilitate any personal care arrangements students make as much as possible by assisting with accommodation allocations, inductions and Health and Safety procedures.

Visiting the University

The University holds Offer Holder and general Open Days throughout the year, that enable you to explore the campus, meet students and academic staff, find out more about degree courses, accommodation, finance, support and the application process. Prospective students, parents, teachers and advisers are all welcome.

Advance booking for University Open Days is advisable and can be done via the Open Days website, by telephone (024 76 523648) or by e-mail to

The Disability Team can also arrange individual visits for disabled students who would like to visit the campus to view accessible accommodation, meet with a representative from their academic department and discuss support requirements. To arrange a visit, please contact us.


If asked for an interview it is important to let your department know of your requirements in advance. This might involve providing sign language interpreters, or people to meet and escort you around campus if required, any additional time for breaks, any accessibility requirements etc.

Parents Contacting the University

In accordance with University policy, staff are unable to discuss an applicant's or current student's personal information with a third party. We encourage students to openly talk to the parents about any difficulties they are experiencing and we can facilitate these discussions with the student's consent.

For information about the support offered through the Disability Team, please browse this website and parents can also look at our information for parents and guardians.

How to Contact Disability Team

As an applicant, to submit an enquiry to the Disability team in Wellbeing and Student Support, please do the following:

Go to and register for an IT account (limited access). Then go to , pick the enquiry option for disabled students and submit your enquiry for the attention of the Disability team.

You can also call us 024 7657 5570 to discuss any questions about the support available at Warwick.