Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

About Warwick

Where is the University of Warwick?
The University of Warwick is not in Warwick. The University is located in the heart of England, adjacent to the city of Coventry - 3 miles (5 kilometres) from the city centre - and on the border with Warwickshire.

What is Warwick's address?
University of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7AL, UK
Tel: +44 (0)24 7652 3523
Fax: +44 (0)24 7646 1606

How do I get to campus?
For directions see the Visiting the University website.

Can I come to an open day?
Yes, there are several open days each academic year. To see when the next one is, visit the Visit Us page:

How many postgraduates are at Warwick?
There are 9,540 postgraduate students at Warwick. Find out more

How many students are at Warwick?
There are 24,683 students at Warwick, including 13,864 undergraduates, 9,540 postgraduates, and 9,363 international students.

What are the term dates?

For 2017/2018, the dates are:

Autumn Term Monday 2 October 2017 – Saturday 9 December 2017
Spring Term
Monday 8 January 2018 – Saturday 17 March 2018
Summer Term
Monday 23 April 2018 – Saturday 30 June 2018

What is the term structure?
The University operates on a 3-term structure, each term lasting roughly 10 weeks. Postgraduate courses may work partly outside the University term structure.

How do Warwick postgraduate courses compare to other Universities?
The Warwick Graduate School was one of the first in the UK, and offers students the opportunity to study in a culture of excellence in research and teaching, and in a dynamic and international postgraduate community. Studying at Warwick gives the opportunity to work next to some of the best academics in the world who choose to come here to research and teach.

The University of Warwick has a reputation for excellence in innovation and research. With an emphasis on interdisciplinary approaches and entrepreneurial culture, Warwick is one of the leading research institutions in the UK. Warwick was ranked 7th in the last RAE (Research Assessment Exercise).

What is the International status of Warwick?
Warwick is an international University with an international outlook. There are over 9,363 international students from over 100 different countries. The academic staff here lead research in their fields, and come from all over the world to research and teach at the internationally renowned departments. The University's mission is to develop as a world leader in teaching and research.

What is the standing of Warwick research?
With an emphasis on interdisciplinary approaches and entrepreneurial culture, Warwick is one of the leading research institutions in the UK. Warwick was ranked 7th in the last RAE (Research Assessment Exercise).

What is the University's mission statement?

  • To become a world leader in research and teaching
  • Through research of international excellence, to increase significantly the range of human knowledge and understanding
  • To equip graduates to make an important contribution to the economy and to society
  • To serve our local region - academically, culturally and economically
  • To continue to make a Warwick education available to all those able to benefit from it, regardless of economic or social circumstances

Find out more about the University's Strategy which includes ambitious aims for research, teaching and international profile.

Return to Top

Applications and Admissions

Can I order a prospectus?
Yes. You can order a prospectus online.

I am thinking of applying to Warwick. How do I get started?
Visit the application website for postgraduate study.

What can I study?
Warwick has a broad range of postgraduate degrees within the Faculties of Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences and Medicine. There are also a number of open studies courses, part-time courses, 2+2, and foundation degrees, PGCE, Continuing Professional Development and Training. Consult the Postgraduate Prospectus for a full list of courses.

What qualifications do I need?
Applicants should normally possess a first degree of at least a second class UK honours standard or the equivalent. Applicants for research degree modules should normally possess a first degree of at least an upper second class UK honours standard or the equivalent and/or a Master's degree or its equivalent. The requirement for a first degree may be waived in the case of post-experience modules for candidates who can demonstrate sufficient relevant work experience.

What entry requirements does the University set?
All applicants must satisfy the general postgraduate admissions requirements and also those of the course which they wish to pursue.

  • Research Degrees: at least an upper second class honours degree or equivalent
  • Taught Degree: at least a lower second class honours degree or equivalent, although some courses require an upper second

NOTE: Certain courses may require that applicants should possess a first degree in a relevant subject. Please refer to the A-Z list of Taught postgraduate courses to find out if your course of interest has such an entry requirement.

English Language Qualifications: If your first language is not English you will be expected to obtain the recognised English Language qualification IELTS (International English Language Testing System), with a minimum score of 6.5.

Some departments may ask for higher scores in the above tests if this is important for successful study on the course concerned.

I don't have a first degree but have professional experience in a relevant field. Can I still apply?
Applicants who do not possess the level of qualifications outlined above may, nevertheless, be eligible for admission to postgraduate modules, where applicable, on the basis of previous work experience or training. The admission of such applicants is subject to approval by the Chair of the Graduate School to whom a recommendation should be made by the admitting department.

What is Warwick looking for?
The admissions decision will rest primarily on the qualifications, needs and aspirations of the applicant, and the educational opportunities available.

I have a disability/illness. Will this affect my chance of success?
The University is committed to equality of opportunity, as stated in our Equal Opportunity policy. The University aims to avoid unfair discrimination on whatever grounds, including gender, age and ethnic background.

The University welcomes applications from disabled people and those with specific learning difficulties and considers them on the same academic grounds as other candidates. Many such students have successfully pursued postgraduate study at Warwick. In order that the University can provide appropriate advice and guidance on the services and facilities available, it is helpful for us to know in advance if you have a disability or specific learning difficulty. The University, via the Senior Tutor's Office, will give advice concerning the suitability of the campus, the module and the equipment and/or support available. In a small number of cases, we may ask candidates who have indicated a recent, recurring or serious health problem to allow us to request a medical report on their condition. These reports do not form part of the academic selection process and will not be available to anyone except the University Medical Officer. The Registrar is ultimately responsible for ensuring that the University is able to make adequate provision for students with disabilities and for keeping a record of the exceptional cases where a candidate is refused admission on the grounds of disability.

Return to Top


What funding is available?
The Graduate School can provide information and advice on the funding available to postgraduate students, which includes scholarships, studentships and bursaries.

How much will my course cost?
Tuition fees differ depending on the course taken. For more information see the Finance Office website.

Do I qualify for an award, scholarship or bursary?
See the student funding website.

What is the cost of accommodation at Warwick?
Campus accommodation for 2016/17 ranges from £108 per week to £136 per week for a single room including heating and lighting. Campus accommodation is let out for 30, 39 or 50 weeks.

Off campus prices vary. The University's Private Letting Unit (PLU) provides off campus houses on 50 week lets for postgraduates.

  • For an accommodation overview, visit the Accommodation website:

Can I have a part-time/vacation job?
The University has its own temporary employment agency. Tailored to the needs of University students, this is a way to earn while you study and gain valuable work experience. They provide excellent pay rates and flexible working hours to fit into the typical demands of the student schedule. Work available varies from one-day secretarial support or kitchen porter jobs, to longer-term projects, such as website development and clerical assistants.

There may be teaching opportunities available for research students.

Does the University offer Music Scholarships?
The Music Centre offers two types of financial assistance to talented students at the University. There is no music degree at Warwick and hence, these awards are open to all students from all disciplines.

Return to Top

Coming to Warwick

Where will I be living during my time at Warwick?
Postgraduate students can apply to live in halls of residence on the University campus. Alternatively, many students choose to live in Coventry or Leamington Spa. The University provides a house-letting service (PLU - Private Letting Unit), and there are various other private estate agents that let to students on 10 month contracts.

How do I get around campus? Can I have a car?
It is entirely possible to walk and cycle around campus. Staff car parking permits are only available to postgraduate researchers, and we strongly advise you not to drive to campus and instead to walk, cycle or use public transport. Local bus services serve the main off-campus student accommodation areas in Coventry and Leamington Spa, with direct, frequent services. These services also connect to local popular destinations, train stations and Birmingham International Airport.

If you do need to bring your car to campus, parking is available to students in pay and dispay car parks. You can pay for this via pay and display tickets or flexi-pay books of scratch cards. If you're a disabled driver with a blue badge please see our disabled parking page.

Return to Top

Personal Development

What support for personal development is available? What happens if I come across difficulties during my time at Warwick?
University is a place to develop - academically, professionally, and also personally. The Student Development and Support Centre and the Students' Union Advice and Welfare Service deal with every student related personal issue to make your time at Warwick as smooth and beneficial as possible. There is a student finance office, the Centre for Student Careers and Skills, a temporary employment agency, and the Warwick Skills Programme. The Senior Tutor and Counselling service give support for virtually every issue faced by students. The qualified team deals with personal, psychological and emotional issues on a one-to-one basis or in support groups. The Senior Tutor's Office offers advice about accommodation, harassment, and disciplinary charges. There is also a disability co-ordinator to advise students on matters such as support for study, appropriate accommodation, and other issues related to accessibility.

The Students' Union Advice and Welfare services offer help and guidance on a range of issues, including accommodation, health, academic, and equal opportunities. They also run nightline, an independent confidential night time helpline.

What support can I hope to get from my department?
Students are allocated a Personal Tutor when they arrive at the University. The Personal Tutor will be be a staff member within your academic department of study. Research students are allocated a supervisor. Personal Tutors are there to provide students with advice and guidance on both academic and pastoral matters and to ensure that everyone is treated as an individual.

Personal Tutors and their tutees are expected to meet regularly during the academic year to review academic progress and general well-being. Personal Tutors can give testimony on a student's behalf in disciplinary cases and are regularly consulted by both administrative and academic staff on a great number of matters concerning students. Personal Tutors may represent students at Academic Progress meetings and Examination boards.

Can I develop my skills?

Skills development opportunities offered by Student Careers and Skills cover academic, personal and career management skills, and include workshops, one-to-one sessions, networking events and a wide range of resources and information you can access remotely, 24/7.

Taught Master's:

Research Students:

What careers guidance does Warwick offer?
Student Careers and Skills provides assistance for every stage of a career. This includes choosing a career, taking a gap year, study abroad, work abroad, and work experience. They give advice on CV writing, applications, assessment centres and interviews.

The service is available to current students, and graduates can access this service by joining the Warwick Graduates' Association.

Student Careers and Skills are able to put students in touch with a number of Warwick Alumni who work in areas of interest. They run regular careers fairs and events that provide the opportunity to meet with potential employers.

Return to Top

Facilities, Services and Support

What shops are there on campus?
The University campus contains cafes, restaurants, bars, a grocery store, post office, bookshop, Warwick shop, hair and beauty salon, major banks, a travel agency and a pharmacy.

Where can I get medical assistance?
There is a health centre at the heart of campus. This has a General Practice service for those students living in the catchment area. The Centre is a National Health Service practice and offers free primary medical care for all students who are registered as patients there. Students who live on campus are encouraged to register with the practice when they arrive at Warwick; though they can register at any time provided they live in the catchment area and have at least three months left on their course. Students living off campus may need to register with a local NHS practice.

The University has an emergency line with high priority access to the emergency services.

What IT provisions does the University provide for its students?
There are many computer rooms across campus with internet access. All students have access to these resources. There are currently over 3100 wireless access points distributed across the University campus, providing both 2.4GHz and 5GHz coverage where possible. Every student bedroom on campus has a high speed broadband point.

Can I get food on campus?
Yes. There are sixteen cafes, bars and restaurants on and around campus. They serve everything from freshly cooked international cuisine to takeaway coffee, sandwiches, salads and burgers.

What are my employment prospects?
Warwick students are some of the most sought after by employers. Every year, over 200 employers from all sectors come to campus to promote themselves to students at the University. The Centre for Student Careers and Skills was recently voted the second best careers service in the UK by employers.

Can I learn a new language?
Yes. Anyone can learn a new language at the Language Centre in the Humanities Building. There is a wide range of languages available for beginners up to advanced level speakers. There are currently courses in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portugese, Russian and Spanish.

Where can I get specialised books for my course?
The University bookshop, located in the Warwick Arts Centre, stocks all recommended titles for Warwick courses and a huge range of background titles. If there is something they do not stock they are able to order it for you.

I have a special dietary requirement. Where can I eat at Warwick?
There are numerous eating outlets on campus providing a large range of food options, including vegetarian and international dishes. There is also a Rootes grocery store that stocks everything from oven-ready meals and snacks to halal and vegetarian foods. Halls of residence have kitchen facilities.

Is there any provision for halal/kosher food?
Yes. Halal is available in the Rootes grocery store on campus and served in selected eating outlets on campus. A kosher kitchen is available in the Chaplaincy.

How family-friendly is the University of Warwick? What childcare facilities exist at the University?
The University has a Nursery that has the capacity to look after children from 3 months to 5 years. Some accommodation is available for students or staff wishing to live on campus.

How safe is Warwick campus?
The University provides a 24-hour Security Service that operates 365 days a year. Crime is extremely low on campus and this service goes a long way to ensure it remains that way. They provide an emergency line with high priority access to the emergency services. All measures are taken to ensure the safest environment possible. The Security Office also advises students on how to prevent crime themselves. Residential and main campus areas are extremely well-lit and there are several emergency call points.

The campus shuttlebus is a quick, free way to get from one end of our large campus to the other. It stops at Gibbet Hill, main campus, the Sherbourne residences, Westwood campus and many other points along the way. It's there for both students and staff.

Return to Top

Passions and Pastimes

What extra-curricular activities can I involve myself in?
The Students' Union runs over 300 societies and sports clubs, and students can join as many as they want to once they have joined the societies and sports federations.

What is there in terms of entertainment at the University?
The Students' Union runs a comprehensive entertainments programme. They have 6 food and drink outlets and regular events and club nights. This includes DJ music, live bands, fashion shows, and comedy. As well as the many events hosted by the various performance societies, there is also the annual Warwick Student Arts Festival, and One World Week, the world's largest student run international event.

The Warwick Arts Centre has five venues and hosts a variety of performances throughout the year. This includes West End shows, cutting edge dance, film, national opera, and Nobel Prize winning writers. Student music and drama groups often perform in this building.

What musical facilities can I use at Warwick?
Warwick provides something for everyone at any level of ability. A purpose-built Music Centre is attached to the Warwick Arts Centre and has specialised ensemble and practice rooms where the University's many different music groups practice. Each room is equipped with a piano. The Centre has an extensive Choral and Orchestral music library, percussion and instrument stores and a variety of keyboard instruments, including grand pianos and harpsichords.

Music tuition is available for all instruments and voices.

What is the drama scene like at Warwick?
There are several drama societies that run within the Students' Union. These societies perform a range of works, from Greek Tragedy, to plays written by students. There are numerous student performances each term, and Warwick students often take productions to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

Students have the opportunity to perform in professional venues in the Warwick Arts Centre as well as areas in the Students' Union and sometimes outdoors around the University. Every year there is the Warwick Student Arts Festival, a week long event involving hundreds of student artists and performers.

Involvement within the drama societies can include a range of activities, from the obvious acting and directing, to production, lighting, marketing, sound and design.

The Warwick Arts Centre hosts a series of visiting theatre companies throughout the year. These include nationally and internationally touring groups as well as smaller or new companies.

What religious societies are active at Warwick?
The Students' Union has 8 different religious and belief societies. There is also a Chaplaincy that welcomes students from all or no faiths. The Chaplaincy is home to the Anglican, Roman Catholic, Free Church, Muslim and Jewish Chaplains.

There are regular services for all denominations as well as many social events. Christian groups meet several times a week for prayer, bible study and discussion. On Friday nights Jewish students meet for Shabbat meal; a kosher kitchen is available in the building. The Islamic Society organises worship for Muslim students in the dedicated prayer room on campus, and halal food is readily available in the local area.

I'd like to take up a new sport/musical instrument - what is available?
The Music Centre provides tuition for every voice and instrument and will teach anyone at any level, from beginners to professional. Some of the Students' Union's many music societies do not require auditions.

The Union's sport clubs equally offer the chance to play or compete at a variety of levels.

Are there any opportunities for entering science/technology/engineering competitions?
See your department's website for current opportunities. Warwick students regularly compete in national competitions and have a high success rate.

Return to Top

International Students

I am an International student. How do I find more information?
International students should visit the International Office website.

What level of English do I need?
If your first language is not English you will be expected to obtain one of the following recognised English Language qualifications:

  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with a minimum score of 6.5
  • The University only accepts the TOEFL iBT test (internet-based test) with a minimum score of 92.
  • Find out more about the University's English proficiency requirements.

Some departments may ask for higher scores in the above tests if this is important for successful study on the course concerned.

Return to Top