Section A – for Essay 1 (Due TBC)
1. Discuss Neruda’s use of landscape imagery to develop ideas about American identity in Las Alturas de Macchu Picchu.
2. What does the ocean signify for Neruda?
3. Why does Neruda choose Macchu Picchu as the setting for section two of Canto general?
4. What aspects of the socialist ethos are represented in Canto general and how does Neruda incorporate these ideas in his poetry?
5. Discuss Neruda’s legacy in Chilean politics and literature.
6. What did the “Boom” mean for Latin American Literature?
7. What are the differences between García Márquez’s magical realism and the definition of ‘lo real maravilloso’ defined by Alejo Carpentier? Discuss with reference to One Hundred Years of Solitude.
8. What do Melquiades’ manuscripts tell us about García Márquez’s conception of the relationship between fiction, history and reality?
9. Discuss the ways in which García Márquez uses colour in his fictional imagery.
10. Compare and contrast the representations of Latin American geography in Neruda’s Canto general and García Márquez’s One Hundred Years of Solitude.
Section B – for Essay 2 (Due TBC)
11. Is The House of the Spirits nothing more than a pale imitation of One Hundred Years of Solitude?
12. Assess Allende’s historical interpretation of Chile in the 20th century as presented in The House of the Spirits.
13. Discuss Allende’s portrait of class conflict in The House of the Spirits.
14. What does the Trueba family represent in terms of Chilean history? Discuss, with reference to at least 4 characters.
15. Is Isabel Allende a feminist? Discuss with reference to the treatment of gender in The House of the Spirits.
16. Compare and contrast the uses of magical realism in Gabriel García Márquez and Isabel Allende.
17. Compare and contrast the ways in which Allende and García Márquez and/or Neruda use colour in their imagery. [NB. You cannot choose this question if you did question 9 for your first essay]
18. Compare and contrast the depiction of Chilean identity in Allende’s novel and Neruda’s poetry.
19. Compare and contrast the motif of incest in One Hundred Years of Solitude and The House of the Spirits.