Laura D Atkinson
I currently have postgraduate qualifications at masters level (taught) in plant science and I am furthering my knowledge through postgraduate research in the field of crop science through a PhD entitled 'The Genetic Characterisation of Post Harvest Spoilage in Lettuce'.
PhD Plant and Environmental Sciences, The University of Warwick, 2006-2010.
MSc Conservation and Utilisation of Plant Genetic Resources, The University of Birmingham, 2006.
Personal Skills Award, The University of Birmingham, 2006.
BSc Biological Sciences, The University of Birmingham, 2005.
Read my earlier education summary.
- 2009 - WHRI Student Travel Award (£800) for travel to another lab and conference
- 2008 -ASSEC Graduate Student & Post-doctoral Fellow Travel Fund (£1000) for travel to another lab and conference
- 2008 - UKRC Travel Bursary (£700) for travel to another lab and conference
- 2008 - GCRI Funding (£250) for travel to another lab and conference
- 2008 - Vegetable Research Trust (VRT) Award (£500) for travel to another lab and conference
- 2006 - BBSRC PhD CASE Studentship (4 years)
- 2006 - Rijk Zwaan PhD CASE Studentship, industrial partner (4 years)
- 2005 - European Social Fund (ESF) Masters Award (1 year)
AAB (Association of Applied Biologists) Student member, 2008-present.
I sit on the Student Staff Liaison Committee (SSLC) as a 3rd year representative.
I am currently on the preliminary judging panel for the 'Warwick Writing Prize'2009 for the theme 'Complexity'.
Lettuce Discolouration Dutch Field Trial at Rijk ZwaanBreeding Station, Fiinaart, The Netherlands, Autumn 2008.
Northern Moroccan Herbarium Specimen Collecting Mission through The University of Birmingham in collaboration with ICARDA, the Hassan II Institute of Agronomy & Veterinary Medicinee, Rabat and The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, summer 2006.
Seed Conservation experience at The Millennium Seed Bank, The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Wakehurst Place, winter 2005.
Graduate School Training