1. Why did the Hindu Right grow so rapidly in the 1980s and 1990s?
2. Has the project of ‘Hindu Rashtra’ (Hindu nationhood) successfully altered Indian democracy?
1. Chetan Bhatt, Hindu Nationalism (2001), chts. 5-7 (pp.113-209)
1. B. Rajeshwari Communal Riots in India: A Chronology (1947-2003), Delhi, 2004
2. Partha Chatterjee, “How We Loved the Bomb And Later Rued It”, Economic and Political Weekly, 33:24 (1998)
3. Ornit Shani, Communalism, Caste and Hindu Nationalism: The Violence in Gujarat (Cambridge, 2007)
4. Arvind Rajagopal, Politics After Television: Hindu Nationalism and the Reshaping of the Public in India (Cambridge, 2004)