1. What do you understand by the term ‘Nehruvian socialism’?
2. In what ways was Indian democracy transformed between the late 1960s and the late 1970s?
1. Sudipta Kaviraj, “The Passive Revolution and India: A Critique”, in Trajectories of the Indian State: Politics and Ideas (Ranikhet, 2010), pp. 100-144
2. Benjamin Zachariah, Nehru (London, 2004), pp.139-169
1. Ramachandra Guha, India after Gandhi: The History of the World’s Largest Democracy (Delhi, 2007)
2. Achin Vanaik, The Painful Transition: Bourgeois Democracy in India (London, 1990)
3. Ayesha Jalal, Democracy and Authoritarianism in South Asia (Cambridge, 1995)