- An understanding of Chinese history, both on its own terms and in connection to the other histories the students are presented with in the first year.
- An engagement with some of the enduring debates in the study of the Chinese empire, such as the relationship between Han and non-Han population, the role of women, the engagement with the steppe threat, the role of merchants, and the relationship between the culture of the court and the daily experience in the provinces.
- An understanding of a wide range of approaches to history through translated primary as well as secondary sources.
- Confidence in the analysis of a range of visual, material and textual sources.
- Communication skills, both oral and written, as well as research skills.
- Assignment 1: Oral presentation (20%)
- Assignment 2: 2,000 word essay (30%)
- Assignment 3: 3,000 word essay (50%)
Please see the departmental website for all deadlines. Look under 'First Year Options'.