- How did British rule in India change after 1857?
- What was the place of 'information' in British India?
- C.A. Bayly, 'Knowing the Country: Empire and Information in India', Modern Asian Studies, Vol. 27, No. 1 (1993), pp. 3-43.
- T. Metcalf, Ideologies of the Raj, part of chapter 3 ('The Creation of Difference'), pp. 66-92.
- F. Chaudhry, ‘British 20th-century Imperialism and Anti-Imperialism in South Asia’, in Immanuel Ness & Zak Cope (eds.), The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Imperialism and Anti-Imperialism, Volume I (Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016), pp.569-581
- I. Copland, The Princes of India in the Endgame of Empire, 1917-1947 (CUP, 2009), pp. 15-43.