Interpretation of Sources
- Analyzing Documents (Jonathan Davies)
- Analyzing Images (Susan Hilligoss)
- For how contemporaries viewed images ('the period eye'), see
- Michael Baxandall, Painting and Experience in Fifteenth-century Italy, 2nd ed. (Oxford, 1988), Chapter 2
- Stuart Clark, Vanities of the Eye. Vision in Early Modern European Culture (Oxford, 2007)
- Bob Scribner, 'Ways of seeing in the age of Dürer', in Dagmar Eichberger and Charles Zika (eds), Dürer and his Culture (Cambridge, 1998), pp. 93-117.
- Michael L. Wilson, 'Visual Culture: A Useful Category of Historical Analysis?' in The Nineteenth-Century Visual Culture Reader, ed. Vanessa R. Schwartz and Jeannene M. Przyblyski (New York, 2004), pp. 26-33.