- Cristellon, Cecilia and Silvana Seidel Menchi. 'Religious Life', in Dursteler (ed.), A Companion to Venetian History, 1400-1797 (Leiden, 2013), pp. 379-420.
Martin, John Jeffries, ‘Salvation and Society in Sixteenth-Century Venice: Popular Evangelism in a Renaissance City’, Journal of Modern History 60.2 (1988), pp. 205-33. JSTOR
- MacKenney, Richard, Venice as the polity of mercy: guilds, confraternities, and the social order, c. 1250-c. 1650 (Toronto, 2019). E-book. Chapter 5.
- Chambers, David, and Brian Pullan (eds), Venice: A Documentary History 1450-1630 (Oxford, 1992; rept. Toronto, 2001), pp. 185-237.
- Sanudo, Marin, Venice, Cità excelentissima: selections from the Renaissance diaries of Marin Sanudo, ed. and trans. Patricia H. Labalme and Laura Sanguineti White (Baltimore, 2008), pp. 359-426.
Gabrieli, Giovanni, Music for San Rocco
How was lay piety expressed in Venice in this period?
- To what degree did reformist religious ideas penetrate the city in the sixteenth century?
How did Catholic reform change Venetian culture?