- Cristellon, Cecilia and Silvana Seidel Menchi. 'Religious Life', in Dursteler (ed.), A Companion to Venetian History, 1400-1797 (Leiden, 2013), pp. 379-420.
Martin, John Jeffries, ‘Salvation and Society in Sixteenth-Century Venice: Popular Evangelism in a Renaissance City’, Journal of Modern History 60.2 (1988), pp. 205-33. JSTOR
- MacKenney, Richard, Venice as the Polity of Mercy: Guilds, Confraternities, and the Social Order, c. 1250-c. 1650 (Toronto, 2019). E-book. Chapter 5.
- Chambers, David, and Brian Pullan (eds), Venice: A Documentary History 1450-1630 (Oxford, 1992; rept. Toronto, 2001), pp. 185-237.
- Sanudo, Marin, Venice, Cità excelentissima: selections from the Renaissance diaries of Marin Sanudo, ed. and trans. Patricia H. Labalme and Laura Sanguineti White (Baltimore, 2008), pp. 359-426.
Gabrieli, Giovanni, Music for San Rocco
- How did the Republic of Venice seek to control the Venetian Church?
How was lay piety expressed in Venice in this period?
To what degree did reformist religious ideas penetrate Venice in the sixteenth century?