- D'Andrea, David, 'Charity and Confraternities', in Eric R. Dursteler (ed.), A Companion to Venetian History 1400-1797(Leiden, 2013), pp. 421-48. Brill e-book
- Povolo, Claudio, 'Liturgies of Violence: Social Control and Power Relationships in the Republic of Venice between the 16th and 18th Centuries', in Eric R. Dursteler (ed.), A Companion to Venetian History 1400-1797(Leiden, 2013), pp. 513-42. Brill e-book
- Chambers, David, and Brian Pullan (eds), Venice: A Documentary History 1450-1630 (Oxford, 1992; rept. Toronto, 2001), pp. 85-129, 295-321.
- Sanudo, Marin, Venice, cità excelentissima: selections from the Renaissance diaries of Marin Sanudo, ed. and trans. Patricia H. Labalme and Laura Sanguineti White (Baltimore, 2008), pp. 113-58, 311-21.
How was violence expressed and controlled in the Republic of Venice in the Renaissance?
- How successful were Venetian charitable institutions in addressing the social and religious problems of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries?
Indications for Further Reading