Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Personal Tutors

In this section


Health and Wellbeing

Subject Specialism

Further Information



All students are assigned a Personal Tutor. Details of your Personal Tutor may be found via your Tabula profile page. Every member of academic staff has their contact details and office hours available on their staff webpage. For the PGT students, the Personal Tutor assigned to you is the Course Director, Dr. Claudia Stein.

Personal Tutor is the academic staff whose key responsibilities in this role are to be an accessible and approachable departmental point of contact, providing responsive academic and routine wellbeing support and guidance to facilitate your learning development and experience. They are also the most obvious person to provide a reference for you for any internships, graduate programmes, or job applications, so it is worthwhile investing time into developing your relationship with your Personal Tutor to support them in writing these references when the time comes.

The Personal Tutor can discuss a variety of things such as general academic performance, the feedback you have received, ideas you might have about study and or employability skills you need to develop, questions you have about the rules and regulations of the department and university, as well as queries about other sources of development and support across the University.

It is sometimes necessary for a student's Personal Tutor to be swapped to an alternative member of staff, often due to staff taking up research leave or general staff turnover, and usually taking place during the summer vacation. In such circumstances, the student will receive an e-mail from the Department confirming that their Personal Tutor has changed. Students are entitled to change their Personal Tutor at any stage and should direct their request to the Academic Administrator.

Personal Tutoring at Warwick - A Quick 3 Step Guide for Students


Health and Wellbeing

Your Personal Tutor is not an expert in health and wellbeing issues - which are best discussed with your GP/healthcare provider. The University Support Services (Disability Services, Mental Health, Counselling and Wellbeing) are available on campus if you need professional support with any issues. Your Personal Tutor’s role here is to signpost you to these specialist services and to discuss with you how to manage any impact issues are having on your academic studies and any adjustments that might be recommended. Once you have met with the specialist services, it is a good idea for you to update your Personal Tutor so they are aware of the support you are receiving.


Subject Specialism

Personal Tutors are not experts in all subject areas within your department or degree course. You should contact module staff for questions about specific module content. Your Personal Tutor may be able to help you identify the most suitable person for you to contact with a specialist academic query if it is outside of their expertise.


Further Information

See the Student Guide here for further information.



Welfare and Support

PhD Activities and Information

Upgrade Examination

Your Thesis and Viva Voce

Personal Development

Help Beyond the Department

Student Voice

Careers and Life beyond PhD