(Equivalent to level 7)
This module runs in Term 2, please also see French Language for Contemporary France for Term 1.
Prerequisite - Prior knowledge of French:
- approximately C1 level of the CEFR (Common European Framework of reference for Languages)
- or advanced knowledge of French, i.e. a good A level or equivalent + 2 years of further study
- or successful completion of Language Centre level 6 equivalent module (e.g. French for Business 2, French through Translation, French Language through Films)
- or equivalent
This module is the equivalent of a level 7 module in French at the Language Centre. This is the highest level you can study at the Language Centre.
- To develop a high degree of competence in French to accomplish a wide range of communicative and professional tasks, accurately and fluently in a business context.
- To maximise fluency and accuracy in written and oral French.
- To enhance cultural awareness and ‘business culture’ insights essential to successful functioning in the world of work in a French-speaking environment.
- To build critical analytical skills.
- To work towards C1.2/C2 of the Common European Framework of Reference.
15 CREDITS, also available for 12 CREDITS.
Our aim, Covid-19 arrangements permitting, is One weekly blended session for 8 weeks, organised as:
One-hour online synchronous plenary
+ one-hour alternate face to face
Some independent study will also be set.
NB: teaching will move fully online in case of new health & safety restrictions.
Students are reminded that 1 credit = 10 hours of study, therefore for a 30 credit module, the minimum expected amount of study is 300 hours, which averages over 10 hours per week. A substantial amount of independent study is therefore required. Students can make use of Moodle to facilitate this.
Term 1 - Week 10
- one Business plan
- one speaking test
No textbook is required. Selected texts will be provided.
The module is:
- taught entirely in French.
- organised around drafting a Business Plan for a project in France
- skill-based and draws on a variety of media, to enable students to build and increase business knowledge and related language skills.
By the end of the module, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a broad knowledge of economic and social factors affecting business in France.
- Apply high critical analytical, linguistic, socio-cultural and business awareness to develop a project and solve problems in French.
- Handle a wide range of authentic materials in French.
- Use specialist lexis and syntax to understand and produce spoken and written language appropriate for a wide range of practical tasks rooted in the business context accurately and fluently.
- Respond to questions and comments fluently, spontaneously and convincingly.
Subject specific skills
Strategies for understanding gist and specific information
Strategies to communicate effectively both in writing and orally in French
Reflect critically on own work Using appropriate resources (linguistic or technological) to produce accurate written assignments
Research and analyse documents on a variety of topics related to business
Intellectual skills: criticism, analysis, synthesis, problem-solving
Communication skills: writing and oral presentation, pitching, defending one’s point of view
Organisational skills: independent work, time management, project management, initiative and resourcefulness
Interpersonal skills: flexibility, adaptability and the ability to work with others