Reader in Hispanic Studies
Head of Hispanic Studies
SMLC Director of Academic Communications
Deputy Academic Director of Warwick Graduate School
Room 4.26, Humanities Building, University Road, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL
Kirsty joined Warwick in September 2012, after eight years at the University of Liverpool. Between 2012 and 2015, she was holder of a Philip Leverhulme Prize.
Kirsty is a specialist in Spanish, Anglo-Spanish and Galician cultural history since 1800. Her particular interests include the global nineteenth century; mobilities (travel, tourism, migration, commerce); relational approaches to cultural history, and the use of digital technologies for humanities research. She co-ordinates the Hispanic Liverpool Project, which works with families, history groups and arts organizations to recover the forgotten stories of Liverpool's Basque, Galician, Spanish, Filipino and Latin American communities.
Kirsty is Principal Investigator (PI) of the AHRC-funded project Imperial Entanglements: Transoceanic Basque Networks in British and Spanish Colonialism and their Legacy (July 2016-December 2019).
Administrative roles (2018-19)
- Head of Hispanic Studies
- SMLC Director of Communications
- Director of Research for Hispanic Studies
- Director of Graduate Studies for Hispanic Studies
- Deputy Academic Director of Warwick Graduate School
- ‘Liverpool and the Luso-Hispanic World: Negotiating Global Histories at Empire’s End.’ In Akiko Tsuchiya and William Acree, eds. Empire’s End: Transnational Connections in the Hispanic World. Nashville: Vanderbilt UP, 2016: 34-59.
- 'A Tale of Two Empires? The Earl's Court Spanish Exhibition (1889).' Modern Languages Open. October 2014. Read the follow-up blog.
- Mondariz-Vigo-Santiago: A Brief History of Galicia's Edwardian Tourist Boom. Fundacion Mondariz Balneario, 2013.
- Contemporary Galician Cultural Studies: Between the Local and the Global. New York: MLA, 2011. Co-ed. with Manuel Puga Moruxa.
- Writing Galicia into the World: New Cartographies, New Poetics. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 2011.
- (2012) 'Revisitando as "novas cartografias" da cultura galega: lectura posnacionais, lecturas relacionais'. Galicia21 Vol. D (2012): 44-56.
- (2012) 'Spas, Steamships and Sardines: Edwardian Package Tourism and the Marketing of Galician Regionalism', Journal of Tourism History 4:2 (2012), 205-224. (open-access until October 2015!)
- PGCert in Digital Humanities, University College London, 2015
- PGCert in Higher Education, University of Liverpool, 2009
- DPhil in Modern Languages, University of Oxford, 2003
- MSt in Slavonic Studies (Polish), University of Oxford, 1998
- BA (Hons) in Modern Languages (Spanish), University of Oxford, 1997
I'm available to see students throughout the week by appointment; please email to set up a time [please note my normal working days are Tuesday-Friday].