I joined Warwick in September 2012, after eight years at the University of Liverpool. Between 2012 and 2015, I was holder of a Philip Leverhulme Prize. In 2017, I was elected a Membro Correspondente of the Real Academia Galega, and in 2022 a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society. From September 2020 - August 2023 I held a Leverhulme Major Research Fellowship for the project Hispanic London: Culture, Commerce and Community in the Nineteenth-Century CityLink opens in a new window.
I'm a specialist in Spanish, Anglo-Spanish and Galician cultural history since 1800. My particular interests include the global nineteenth century, mobilities, genealogies, and microhistories.
In 2022-2023 I'm giving a series of talks for the Instituto Cervantes Manchester-Leeds looking at what nineteenth-century British visitors had to say about different areas of Spain (spoiler: some of them were not impressed!). You can watch and listen on YouTube:
- Modern Literatures in Spain: A Cultural HistoryLink opens in a new window. Polity Books, 2022. Co-authored with Jo Labanyi, Elena Delgado, Helena Buffery, and Mari José Olaziregi.
- The Edwardians and the Making of a Modern Spanish ObsessionLink opens in a new window. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 2020.
- Mondariz-Vigo-Santiago: A Brief History of Galicia's Edwardian Tourist BoomLink opens in a new window [FULL TEXT!]. Mondariz: Fundacion Mondariz Balneario, 2013.
- Contemporary Galician Cultural Studies: Between the Local and the GlobalLink opens in a new window. New York: MLA, 2011. Co-ed. with Manuel Puga Moruxa.
- Writing Galicia into the World: New Cartographies, New PoeticsLink opens in a new window. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 2011.
- A Stranger in my Own Land: Sofia Casanova, a Spanish Writer in the European fin de siecleLink opens in a new window. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press, 2008.
Selected Essays and Book Chapters
- 'Rios, fontes, peiraos, and océanos: Hydropoetics and the Galician Cultural Imagination.' In Benita Sampedro Vizcaya and José Losada-Montero, eds. Rerouting Galician Studies: Multidisciplinary InterventionsLink opens in a new window. New York: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2017: 73-89.
- ‘Liverpool and the Luso-Hispanic World: Negotiating Global Histories at Empire’s End.’ In Akiko Tsuchiya and William Acree, eds. Empire’s End: Transnational Connections in the Hispanic WorldLink opens in a new window. Nashville: Vanderbilt UP, 2016: 34-59.
- 'A Tale of Two Empires? The Earl's Court Spanish Exhibition (1889).Link opens in a new window' [FULL TEXT] Modern Languages Open. October 2014. Read the follow-up blog.
- (2012) 'Revisitando as "novas cartografias" da cultura galega: lectura posnacionais, lecturas relacionaisLink opens in a new window' [FULL TEXT]. Galicia21 Vol. D (2012): 44-56.
- PGCert in Genealogy, Palaeography, and Heraldry, Strathclyde University, 2023
- PGCert in Digital Humanities, University College London, 2015
- PGCert in Higher Education, University of Liverpool, 2009
- DPhil in Modern Languages, University of Oxford, 2003
- MSt in Slavonic Studies (Polish), University of Oxford, 1998
- BA (Hons) in Modern Languages (Spanish), University of Oxford, 1997
I'm currently on leave; please email for an appointment.