Term 1 Formative (non-assessed) Essays 2015
Write an essay of 1200 - 1500 words on ONE of the following questions:
- Analyse the significance of the nightingale in Marie de France's 'Le rossignol'.
- Discuss Christine de Pizan's view of marriage in the Livre de la Cite des Dames.
- To what extent and in what ways does Christine de Pizan's representation of women in the Livre de la Cite des Dames challenge received wisdom about women in the period in which she was writing?
- Analyse the importance of the prologue of Rabelais' Gargantua in the light of the work as a whole.
- Analyse the use of scatological and colloquial language in Rabelais’ Gargantua.
- To what extent and in what ways does the Abbaye de Thélème episode of Rabelais’ Gargantua represent a break from the rest of the text?
- Analyse the role that violence plays in Rabelais’ Gargantua.
Submission deadline for formative essay: Friday 27th November 12 noon.
Please read carefully the directions for submission set out on the First-Year E-Submission page.
Please submit your essay on tabula HERE
If you are unable to submit the essay by its due date, please apply for an extension using Tabula by following the instructions HERE
Preparing for and getting the most out of classes
- Read through your Study Skills Handbook carefully (you received a copy in your start-of-term packs. If you require a further copy, you can click on study skills handbook). The handbook gives detailed information on the following:
- reading primary material
- preparing for lectures
- preparing for seminars
- producing written work
- Take another look at the study skills lectures and advice documents here: skills workshops materials
Follow the link to Writing Essays and Commentaries for key advice about structure, expressing ideas on paper, presentation, and departmental criteria for these tasks.
- Your tutor will return your work to you with added comments and an overall mark. It is important to read through comments carefully. Your tutors may also suggest further useful reading. You will have the opportunity to discuss the work you have prepared in class.
- Find out about the SMLC marking scheme.