Writing essays and commentaries
Departmental advice pages and documents on essay writing
- Study Skills workshops pages: a wealth of information and online resources on essay writing, referencing and using secondary sources.
- Study Skills Handbook
- Departmental essay-writing conventions
- Essay writing criteria
- Advice about how to write a well-constructed paragraph
- Departmental Advice about avoiding plagiarism
- University Video: Avoiding Plagiarism
departmental advice pages and documents on commentary writing
- How to write a commentary: a step-by-step sample commentary: Coup de Lune
- How to write a commentary: the department's step-by-step advice page
- Commentary writing criteria
- Commentary Writing - Powerpoint tutorial (Ingrid De Smet and Dr Cathy Hampton)
Need more help with essay writing?
The Undergraduate Skills Programme offers one-to-one advice sessions. Click here for further details.
The University advice page on Academic Writing offers lots of useful links.
Glossary of technical terms to help you with commentary writing: