Complete your reading of the play and look at the following extracts:
The destiny of Joas: the role of Jehovah: V, 6 - 8, lines 1768 - 1815.
Formulate a research topic relating to Athalie. Areas you might consider include:
- The significance of time (past, present, future)
- The role of the child / childishness
- Heroism and gender
- The nature of God / the gods
- The Absolutist Court: an influence on the play?
Add a page to the Racine section of the wiki in which you organise ideas and gather resources around this research topic.
Athalie and Rodogune
Content and structure
- Analyse the significance of the setting of the two plays, and link with the unity of place.
- Compare and contrast the major tensions / themes that each play seeks to dramatise. To what extent are these tensions resolved at the end of each play (in other words, is catharsis achieved?)
Ideas of family
- blood / inheritance
- death and dying / self-sacrifice
- the parent - child relationship
- love, jealousy and other passions