The Novel in 1816: Post-Revolutionary Heroism and Modernity
Thursday 12 March 2015, 2-4
Millburn House, room F25a
A seminar by Prof. Patrick O'Donovan (Cork) on Benjamin Constant's Adolphe. Respondent Dr Katherine Astbury (Warwick).
After the research paper, we will have an open discussion about the following issues:
- the relationship between politics and literature in 1816 across Europe (and beyond?)
- the representation of freedom
- the pleasure of the literary
- how novels tackle new social realities
- the role of translations and translators
Please come ready to think about these matters in relation to the novel in your country of specialism.