BREM promotes interdisciplinary dialogue across the intersecting themes of migration, ‘race’/ethnic relations and bordering practices, broadly defined. It serves as an open forum for sharing research, developing new and existing collaborations, and supporting early career researchers.
- We create platforms for collaboration between academic researchers at Warwick and at other higher educational institutions working on issues of migration, race, ethnicity and borders
- We connect academic researchers and external agencies across Warwickshire and the West Midlands, including community organisations, NGOs and public sector bodies working in related areas.
- In supporting and advancing interdisciplinary research across the areas of borders, race, ethnicity and migration, BREM also provides a forum by which to engage research insights in order to foster the development of an inclusive academic environment more broadly.
- The network organises workshops and lectures, and provides opportunities for information sharing and for collective research activities.
- It is an open group that provides a platform for members to plan activities together.
- Please contact the convenors if you wish to organise an event or join the BREM network mailing list.
Key questions addressed by BREM include:
What is the social, cultural, economic and political significance of different historical and contemporary migrations?
In what ways are contemporary bordering or boundary-producing practices and dynamics changing?
How does ‘race’ and ethnicity feature in the formation of identities and diverse societies?
To what extent do processes of racialisation shape regulations and differentiated experiences across diverse sites (e.g. the university, workplace or law court)?
If you are interested in joining the network, please contact the convenors:
BREM-STAR (Student Action for Refugees) seminar - May 2022
Avindri Chandraharan and Vicki Squire organised a seminar for members of STAR, with presentations from Ahmad Akkad, Ana Aliverti, Dallal Stevens.
PhD workshop - April 2022
The network held a workshop for PhD students across the University working in BREM.
New blog entry - October 2021
Read Irene Garcia's (PAIS, UG) blog entry about migration to Spain.
Online art galleries - June 2021
Our members helped to create two virtual galleries as part of the Resonate festival in June 2021: Re/making Home gallery and the Everyone's Coventry gallery.
Resonate Festival / Sanctuary month - June 2021
BREM curated the University's Resonate Festival 'month of Sanctuary' in June 2021, as part of Coventry City of Culture events. Learn more here
University of Sanctuary
BREM supported the successful Warwick University of Sanctuary application in 2017 and the renewal of the University's status in 2021. Learn more here.