Gregory R. Kowald
Chemical Biology Research Facility
Department of Chemistry
University of Warwick
PhD Project Title: -
"Structure and properties of earthworm metallothionein-2"
To develop and improve the methods used to isolate and characterise the three currently known metallothionein isoforms (wMT-1, wMT-2, wMT-3) in the earthworm Lumbricus rubellus, and to understand the chemical basis of the reactivity of metal ion clusters within earthworm metallothionein in general.
Work will include:
- Elucidation of structure (as close to native protein as possible) of wMT-2.
- Investigation of thermodynamics, specificity and affinities for binding metal ions of wMT-2.
- Investigation into the structural features of wMT-2, with comparison to similar metallothioneins.
- Year 2 Departmental Poster Prize - 1st Place
- Year 3 Departmental Talk Prize - Runner-Up
- Metallomics 2011 Poster Prize - 1st Place