Associate Professor - Reader
Adrian Chaplin is a Reader in Chemistry at the University of Warwick. His research is based on the organometallic chemistry of the late transition metals, with a focus on mechanistic aspects of small molecule activation reactions and translation of this knowledge into catalytic applications. Current work targets the synthetic exploitation of alkanes and nitrous oxide in particular, and is distinctive for the use of bespoke pincer ligands. He is a former Royal Society University Research Fellow and for his contributions to organometallic chemistry he was awarded the Harrison-Meldola Memorial Prize from the RSC in 2015.
Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- 2015 RSC Harrison-Meldola Memorial Prize [press release]
- 2014 ERC Starting Grant [press release].
- 2011 Royal Society University Research Fellowship.
- Reader; University of Warwick, UK (2020 - present).
- Royal Society University Research Fellow; University of Warwick, UK (2011 - 2019).
- EPSRC funded postdoctoral research assistant; Willis and Weller research groups, University of Oxford, UK (2009 - 2011).
- R. J. P. Williams Junior Research Fellow; Wadham College, Oxford, UK (2009 - 2011) .
- EPSRC funded postdoctoral research assistant; Weller research group, University of Oxford, UK (2007 - 2009).
- Docteur ès Sciences (PhD); Dyson research group, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland (2007).
- BSc (Hons); Massey University, New Zealand (2002).
Key lines of investigation:
- Activation and transformation of alkanes and nitrous oxide
- Supramolecular inspired encapsulating and interlocking ligand architectures
- Isolation and reaction chemistry of complexes with a low coordination number
- Organometallic chemistry of late transition metals in unusual oxidation states
- Applications of pincer ligands in organometallic chemistry and catalysis
Past and present group members and their accomplishments are detailed on our webpages. We are always interested to hear from talented and motivated scientists. If you are interested in joining the team, please get in touch.
Selected recent publications:
- A shape changing tandem Rh(CNC) catalyst: preparation of bicyclo[4.2.0]octa-1,5,7-trienes from terminal aryl alkynes.
C. M. Storey, A. Kalpokas, M. R. Gyton, T. Krämer* and A. B. Chaplin*. Chem. Sci. 2020, 11, 2051 – 2057.
- Rhodium(I) Pincer Complexes of Nitrous Oxide.
M. R. Gyton, B. Leforestier and A. B. Chaplin*. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2019, 58, 15295 – 15298.
- Terminal Alkyne Coupling Reactions through a Ring: Mechanistic Insights and Regiochemical Switching.
C. M. Storey, M. R. Gyton, R. E. Andrew and A. B. Chaplin*. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 12003 – 12006.
- Solution, Solid-State, and Computational Analysis of Agostic Interactions in a Coherent Set of Low-Coordinate Rhodium(III) and Iridium(III) Complexes.
R. C. Knighton, J. Emerson-King, J. P. Rourke, C. A. Ohlin and A. B. Chaplin*. Chem. Eur. J. 2018, 24, 4927 – 4938.
- UV-light promoted C–H bond activation of benzene and fluorobenzenes by an iridium(I) pincer complex.
S. A. Hauser, J. Emerson-King, S. Habershon and A. B. Chaplin*. Chem. Commun. 2017, 53, 3634 – 3636.
- One-electron Oxidation of [M(PtBu3)2] (M = Pd, Pt): Isolation of Monomeric [Pd(PtBu3)2]+ and Redox Promoted C–H Bond Cyclometalation.
T. Troadec, S.-y. Tan, C. J. Wedge, J. P. Rourke, P. R. Unwin and A. B. Chaplin*. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2016, 55, 3754 – 3757.