George was born in Greece and he obtained his BSc in Chemistry from the University of Athens, which included a dissertation on synthesis and characterization of complex macromolecular architectures of polylactides. George graduated from the same university with a first-class honours Master of Science degree in Polymer Chemistry in 2017. During his MSc project, he focused on synthesis of biodegradable and biocompatible end-functionalized polymers under the supervision of Professor Marinos Pitsikalis.
George commenced his PhD studies in the Professor Haddleton's Group in the University of Warwick in 2017. He is sponsored by Lubrizol for the synthesis and investigation of oil additives for modern lubricating fluids using Catalytic Chain Transfer Polymerization.
- Shegiwal, A.; Wemyss, A. M.; Schellekens, M. A. J.; de Bont, J.; Town, J.; Liarou, E.; Patias, G.; Atkins, C. J.; Haddleton, D. M., Exploiting catalytic chain transfer polymerization for the synthesis of carboxylated latexes via sulfur-free RAFT. J. Polym. Sci., Part A: Polym. Chem., 2019.
- Liarou, E.; Anastasaki, A.; Whitfield, R.; Iacono, C. E.; Patias, G.; Engelis, N. G.; Marathianos, A.; Jones, G. R.; Haddleton, D. M., Ultra-low volume oxygen tolerant photoinduced Cu-RDRP. Polymer Chemistry, 2019, 10 (8), 963-971.
- Atkins, C. J.; Patias, G.; Town, J. S.; Wemyss, A. M.; Eissa, A. M.; Shegiwal, A.; Haddleton, D. M., A simple and versatile route to amphiphilic polymethacrylates: catalytic chain transfer polymerisation (CCTP) coupled with post-polymerisation modifications. Polymer Chemistrym, 2019, 10 (5), 646-655.
- Patias, G.; Choinopoulos, I.; Koinis, S.; Pitsikalis, M., Employing (half-)titanocene complexes as initiators for the synthesis of end-functionalized polylactides by coordination polymerization. J. Polym. Sci., Part A: Polym. Chem., 2018, 56 (19), 2192-2202.
- Choinopoulos, I.; Patias, G.; Koinis, S.; Pitsikalis, M., Synthesis and characterization of brush diblock and triblock copolymers bearing polynorbornene backbone and poly(l-lactide) and/or poly(hexyl isocyanate) side chains by a combination of coordination and ring opening metathesis polymerization. J. Polym. Sci., Part A: Polym. Chem. 2017, 55 (20), 3455-3465.
Catalytic Chain Transfer Polymerization
Rideal Lecture, Perspectives on Polymer Colloids Research (poster presentation) - London, United Kingdom, April 2019
Macro Group UK YRM (poster presentation) - Dublin, Republic of Ireland, July 2018
Bordeaux Polymer Conference (poster presentation) - Bordeaux, France, May 2018
Associate Member of Royal Society of Chemistry (AMRSC)
Member of American Chemical Society (ACS)