George was born in Greece and he obtained his BSc degree (First Class Honours) in Chemistry from the University of Athens, which included a dissertation on synthesis and characterization of complex macromolecular architectures of polylactides. George graduated from the same university with a Master of Science degree (Distinction) in Polymer Chemistry in 2017. During his MSc project, he focused on the synthesis of biodegradable and biocompatible end-functionalized polymers under the supervision of Professor Marinos Pitsikalis.
George commenced his PhD studies in Professor Haddleton's Group in 2017. He is sponsored by Lubrizol for the synthesis and investigation of modern engine oil additives using Catalytic Chain Transfer Polymerization.
- Dai, C.; Wang, Q.; Patias, G.; Shegiwal, A.; Zhu, L.; Jiu, M., Defect-related luminescent microstructured hydroxyapatite promote bone regeneration through nucleating effect. Materials Express 2020, 10 (7), 1102-1108.
- Abbas, S. S.; Kelly, N. L.; Patias, G.; Hanna, J. V.; McNally, T., Cysteamine functionalised reduced graphene oxide modification of maleated poly(propylene). Polymer 2020, 203, 122750.
Abbas, S. S.; Rees, G. J.; Patias, G.; Dancer, C. E. J.; Hanna, J. V.; McNally, T., In Situ Cross-Linking of Silane Functionalized Reduced Graphene Oxide and Low-Density Polyethylene. ACS Applied Polymer Materials 2020, 2 (5), 1897-1908.
- Shegiwal, A.; Wemyss, A. M.; Liarou, E.; Town, J.; Patias, G.; Atkins, C. J.; Marathianos, A.; Lester, D. W.; Efstathiou, S.; Haddleton, D. M., Polymerisable surfactants for polymethacrylates using catalytic chain transfer polymerisation (CCTP) combined with sulfur free-RAFT in emulsion polymerisation. European Polymer Journal 2020, 125, 109491.
- Merritt, S.; Wemyss, A.; Farris, S.; Patole, S.; Patias, G.; Haddleton, D.; Shollock, B.; Wan, C., Gas Barrier Polymer Nanocomposite Films Prepared by Graphene Oxide Encapsulated Polystyrene Microparticles. ACS Applied Polymer Materials 2020, 2 (2), 725-731.
- Patias, G.; Wemyss, A. M.; Efstathiou, S.; Town, J. S.; Atkins, C. J.; Shegiwal, A.; Whitfield, R.; Haddleton, D. M., Controlled synthesis of methacrylate and acrylate diblock copolymers via end-capping using CCTP and FRP. Polymer Chemistry 2019, 10 (47), 6447-6455.
- Shegiwal, A.; Wemyss, A. M.; Schellekens, M. A. J.; de Bont, J.; Town, J.; Liarou, E.; Patias, G.; Atkins, C. J.; Haddleton, D. M., Exploiting catalytic chain transfer polymerization for the synthesis of carboxylated latexes via sulfur-free RAFT. J. Polym. Sci., Part A: Polym. Chem., 2019, 57, E1-E9.
- Liarou, E.; Anastasaki, A.; Whitfield, R.; Iacono, C. E.; Patias, G.; Engelis, N. G.; Marathianos, A.; Jones, G. R.; Haddleton, D. M., Ultra-low volume oxygen tolerant photoinduced Cu-RDRP. Polymer Chemistry, 2019, 10 (8), 963-971.
- Atkins, C. J.; Patias, G.; Town, J. S.; Wemyss, A. M.; Eissa, A. M.; Shegiwal, A.; Haddleton, D. M., A simple and versatile route to amphiphilic polymethacrylates: catalytic chain transfer polymerisation (CCTP) coupled with post-polymerisation modifications. Polymer Chemistry, 2019, 10 (5), 646-655.
- Patias, G.; Choinopoulos, I.; Koinis, S.; Pitsikalis, M., Employing (half-)titanocene complexes as initiators for the synthesis of end-functionalized polylactides by coordination polymerization. J. Polym. Sci., Part A: Polym. Chem., 2018, 56 (19), 2192-2202.
- Choinopoulos, I.; Patias, G.; Koinis, S.; Pitsikalis, M., Synthesis and characterization of brush diblock and triblock copolymers bearing polynorbornene backbone and poly(l-lactide) and/or poly(hexyl isocyanate) side chains by a combination of coordination and ring-opening metathesis polymerization. J. Polym. Sci., Part A: Polym. Chem. 2017, 55 (20), 3455-3465.
Catalytic Chain Transfer Polymerization
Free Radical Polymerization
ACS National Meeting 2019 (oral presentation) - San Diego, United States of America, August 2019
Macro Group UK YRM (poster presentation) - Kent, United Kingdom, July 2019
Rideal Lecture, Perspectives on Polymer Colloids Research (poster presentation) - London, United Kingdom, April 2019
Macro Group UK YRM (poster presentation) - Dublin, Republic of Ireland, July 2018
Bordeaux Polymer Conference (poster presentation) - Bordeaux, France, May 2018
Associate Member of Royal Society of Chemistry (AMRSC)
Member of American Chemical Society (ACS)