Richard was born in the town of Grantham, Lincolnshire and commenced his chemistry studies at Durham University, receiving his Master’s degree in 2014. He completed a final year project under the supervision of Dr. Ezat Khosravi utilizing thiol-ene click chemistry in the synthesis of thermosetting materials for coating applications. Later that year Richard joined the group of Professor David Haddleton to undertake a PhD at the University of Warwick, developing copper mediated polymerization strategies for the controlled polymerization of methacrylic, styrenic and acrylic monomers, with an industrial project synthesising cationic polymers for applications in gene delivery. He has spent 2 months as a visiting scholar at the University of California Santa Barbara under the supervision of Professor Craig Hawker and is currently completing the final year of his PhD.
7. Cu (0)-RDRP of methacrylates in DMSO: importance of the initiator
GR Jones §, R Whitfield §, A Anastasaki, N Risangud, A Simula, DJ Keddie, DM Haddleton, Polym. Chem., 2017, Advance Article
6. Practical Chain-End Reduction of Polymers Obtained with ATRP
Will R. Gutekunst, Athina Anastasaki, David J. Lunn, Nghia P. Truong, Richard Whitfield, Glen R. Jones, Nicolas J. Treat, Allison Abdilla, Bryan E. Barton, Paul G. Clark, David M. Haddleton, Thomas P. Davis, Craig J. Hawker. Macromol. Chem. 2017, 218, 1700107.
5. Specific and Differential Binding of N-Acetylgalactosamine Glycopolymers to the Human Macrophage Galactose Lectin and Asialoglycoprotein Receptor
Joji Tanaka, Anne S. Gleinich, Qiang Zhang, Richard Whitfield, Kristian Kempe, David M. Haddleton, Thomas P. Davis,§,† Sébastien Perrier, Daniel A. Mitchell, Paul Wilson, Biomacromolecules, 2017, 18 (5), pp 1624–1633
4. Universal Conditions for the Controlled Polymerization of Acrylates, Methacrylates and Styrene via Cu (0)-RDRP.
Richard Whitfield, Athina Anastasaki, Vasiliki Nikolaou, Glen R Jones, Nikolaos G Engelis, Emre H Discekici, Carolin Fleischmann, Johannes Willenbacher, Craig J Hawker, David M Haddleton, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2017, 139 (2), pp 1003–1010
3. Well-defined PDMAEA stars via Cu (0)-mediated reversible deactivation radical polymerization
Richard Whitfield, Athina Anastasaki, Nghia P Truong, Paul Wilson, Kristian Kempe, James A Burns, Thomas P Davis, David M Haddleton, Macromolecules, 2016, 49 (23), pp 8914–8924
2. Aqueous copper (II) photoinduced polymerization of acrylates: Low copper concentration and the importance of sodium halide salts
Glen R Jones, Richard Whitfield, Athina Anastasaki, David M Haddleton, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2016, 138 (23), pp 7346–7352
1. Discrete copper (II)-formate complexes as catalytic precursors for photo-induced reversible deactivation polymerization
Vasiliki Nikolaou, Athina Anastasaki, Francesca Brandford-Adams, Richard Whitfield, Glen R. Jones, Gabit Nurumbetov, David M. Haddleton, Polym. Chem., 2016, 7, 191-197.
Controlled Living radical Polymerization
Light mediated polymerization
Polymer/RNA complexation and release strategies
European Polymer Federation (EPF), Dresden, Germany, 2015. (Poster presentation)
Warwick Polymer Conference, 2016 (Poster presentation)
YRM, Liverpool, 2016 (Poster presentation)
Syngenta Collaborative Conference, Jealotts Hill, 2016 (Poster presentation)
ACS National Meeting (Spring), San Francisco, USA, 2017 (Oral Presentation)
Syngenta Collaborative Conference, Jealotts Hill, 2016 (Oral presentation)
American Chemical Society (ACS)
Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
Macro group UK.
Office phone number:
+44 24 765 22179
Department of Chemistry, University of Warwick
Library Road, CV4 7AL