Spyros was born in Greece (Athens) in 1995 and received his BSc degree in Chemistry from the University of Patras (Distinction). His final dissertation thesis was held under the supervision of Prof. Theodore Christopoulos and was focused on the development of novel analytical detectors for visible light spectroscopy applied in DNA/enzyme hybridization assays. His four years of undergraduate studies were then followed by a six month internship as a quality control (QC) chemical analyst on marine fuels and lubricants at Bureau Veritas Hellas.
In 2017-2018, he made a turn in his research interests by receiving an MSc in Polymer Chemistry from the University of Warwick (Distinction). For his MSc research project he joined the Haddleton group working on Sulfur-free RAFT polymerization of methacrylates while investigating the self-assembly of co-polymers by PISA in organic solvents.
As of September 2018, Spyros is an industrially funded Phd candidate at the Haddleton group collaborating with Unilever in polymer based projects and their health care applications. His further research interests concern the use of copper (Cu) mediated living radical polymerization techniques for the synthesis of polymer based self-healing hydrogels.
- Controlled/Living radical Polymerizations (Cu RDRP)
- Self-healing hydrogels
- Hydrogel based sensors
- Controlled delivery polymer systems
1. Controlled synthesis of methacrylate and acrylate diblock copolymers via end-capping using CCTP and FRP
Georgios Patias, Alan M. Wemyss, Spyridon Efstathiou, James S. Town, Christophe J. Atkins, Ataulla Shegiwal, Richard Whitfield and David M. Haddleton*, Polymer Chemistry 2019, 10 (47), 6447-6455.
2. UV irradiation of Cu-based complexes with aliphatic amine ligands as used in living radical polymerization
Evelina Liarou, Michael Staniforth, James S Town, Arkadios Marathianos, Maria Grypioti, Yongguang Li, Yujing Chang, Spyridon Efstathiou, Ellis Hancox, Alan M Wemyss, Paul Wilson, Bryn A Jones, Mohammed Aljuaid, Vasilios G Stavros, David M Haddleton*, European Polymer Journal 2020, 123, 109388.
3. Polymerisable surfactants for polymethacrylates using catalytic chain transfer polymerisation (CCTP) combined with sulfur free-RAFT in emulsion polymerisation
Ataulla Shegiwal, Alan M. Wemyss, Evelina Liarou, James Town, Geogios Patias, Christophe J. Atkins, Arkadios Marathianos, Daniel W. Lester, Spyridon Efstathiou, David M. Haddleton*, European Polymer Journal 2020, 125, 109491.
4. Aggregation-Induced Emission Active Polyacrylates via Cu-Mediated Reversible Deactivation Radical Polymerization with Bioimaging Applications
Congkai Ma, Ting Han, Miaomiao Kang, Evelina Liarou, Alan M. Wemyss, Spyridon Efstathiou, Ben Zhong Tang and David M. Haddleton*, ACS Macro Letters 2020, 9, 5, 769-775.
5. Self-healing and mechanical performance of dynamic glycol chitosan hydrogel nanocomposites
Spyridon Efstathiou, Alan M. Wemyss, Georgios Patias, Lucas Al-Shok, Maria Grypioti, Despina Coursari, Congkai Ma, Christophe J. Atkins, Ataulla Shegiwall, Chaoying Wan and David M. Haddleton*, Journal of Materials Chemistry B 2021, 9, 5, 809-823.
- Rideal Lecture, Perspectives on Polymer Colloids Research (poster presentation) - London, United Kingdom, 2019
- MacroGroup UK Young Researchers Meeting (YRM) (poster presentation) - University of Kent, Canterbury, 2019
- ACS Chemistry & Water (poster presentation) - San Diego,CA, 2019
- MacroGroup UK Young Researchers Meeting (YRM) (Best poster presentation award) - University of Nottingham, 2020
Member of the American Chemical Society (ACS)