Spyros was born in Greece (Athens) in 1995 and received his BSc degree in Chemistry from the University of Patras (First class honours). His final dissertation thesis was held under the supervision of Prof. Theodore Christopoulos and was focused on the development of novel analytical detectors for visible light spectroscopy applied in DNA/enzyme hybridization assays. His four years of undergraduate studies were then followed by a six month internship as a quality control (QC) chemical analyst on marine fuels and lubricants at Bureau Veritas Hellas.
In 2017-2018, he made a turn in his research interests by receiving an MSc in Polymer Chemistry from the University of Warwick (Distinction). For hid MSc research project he joined the Haddleton group working on Sulfur-free RAFT polymerization of methacrylates while investigating the self-assembly of co-polymers by PISA.
As of September 2018, Spyros is an industrially funded Phd candidate at the Haddleton group collaborating with Unilever in polymer based projects and their health care applications. His further research interests concern the use of copper (Cu) mediated living radical polymerization techniques for the synthesis of polymer based self-healing hydrogels.
- Controlled/Living radical Polymerizations (Cu RDRP)
- Self-healing hydrogels
- Hydrogel based sensors
1. Controlled synthesis of methacrylate and acrylate diblock copolymers via end-capping using CCTP and FRP
Georgios Patias, Alan M. Wemyss, Spyridon Efstathiou, James S. Town, Christophe J. Atkins, Ataulla Shegiwal, Richard Whitfield and David M. Haddleton, Polym. Chem., 2019, Advance Article
2. Uv irradiation of Cu-based complexes with aliphatic amine ligands as used in living radical polymerization
Evelina Liarou, Michael Staniforth, James S Town, Arkadios Marathianos, Maria Grypioti, Yongguang Li, Yujing Chang, Spyridon Efstathiou, Ellis Hancox, Alan M Wemyss, Paul Wilson, Bryn A Jones, Mohammed Aljuaid, Vasilios G Stavros, David M Haddleton, Eur. Polym. J., 2019,
- Rideal Lecture, Perspectives on Polymer Colloids Research (poster presentation) - London, United Kingdom, 2019
- MacroGroup UK Young Researchers Meeting (YRM) (poster presentation) - University of Kent, Canterbury, 2019
- ACS Chemistry & Water (poster presentation) - San Diego,CA, 2019
Member of the American Chemical Society (ACS)