I received my BSc. and Ph.D. (with Helen Fielding) from King's College London (KCL). Following my Ph.D., I was a PDRA at the University of Oxford (with John Simons FRS and Mark Brouard), returning to KCL as a PDRA. I then moved to the University of California Berkeley on a Lawrence Berkeley Postdoctoral Fellowship (with Steve Leone). I returned to the UK in 2005 as a Royal Society University Research Fellow to begin my independent research at Warwick.
Groups at Warwick
Our group are working on the following projects at the moment:
My research focuses on the application of time-resolved mass and velocity map ion imaging spectroscopies in the gas-phase and transient absorption spectroscopy in the solution-phase towards understanding the photochemistry and photophysics in: biological molecules; UV filters; catalysts; photochemothery drugs; and diamond. My group also develops new experimental techniques to identify these mechanisms based on femtosecond lasers, molecular beam and transient absorption methodologies.
I teach on the undergraduate modules CH162 Introductions to Physical Chemistry and CH274 Electrons in Molecules and Solids. I am also the academic lead on the CH155 PChem laboratories as well as co-leading an ultrafast spectroscopy laboratory to UG finalists.
Representative (corresponding authored) publications:
- Towards developing novel and sustainable molecular light-to-heat converters, T.T. Abiola, B. Rioux, J.M. Toldo, J. Alarcan, J.M. Woolley, M.A.P. Turner, D.J.L. Coxon, M.T. Do Casal, C. Peyrot, M.M. Mention, W.J. Buma, M.N.R. Ashfold, A. Braeuning, M. Barbatti, V.G. Stavros and F. Allais
Chem. Sci., accepted
- Rigidochromism by imide functionlisation of an aminomaleimide fluorophore, J.T. Husband, Y. Xie, T.R. Wilks, L. Male, M. Torrent-Sucarrat, V.G. Stavros and R.K. O'Reilly, Chem. Sci., 12 (2021) 10550
- An efficient artificial light-harvesting system based on supramolecular peptide nanotubes in water, Q. Song, S. Goia, J. Yang, S.C.L. Hall, M. Staniforth, V.G. Stavros and S. Perrier, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 143 (2021) 382
- Towards symmetry driven and nature inspired UV filter design M.D. Horbury, E.L. Holt, L.M.M. Mouterde, P. Balaguer, J. Cebrian, L. Blasco, F. Allais and V.G. Stavros, Nature. Comm. 10, (2019), 4748-4757
- Wavepacket insights into the photoprotection mechanisms of the UV filter methyl anthranilate, N.d.N. Rodrigues, N.C. Cole-Filipiak, K.N. Blodgett, C. Abeysekera, T.S. Zwier and V.G. Stavros, Nature Comm. 9, (2018), 5188-5195