The Athena Swan Charter is a framework used across higher education and research to support and improve the careers of women in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine.
The Mathematics Institute has recently been awarded an Athena Swan Bronze Award, in recognition of their work in this area. We are now focused on a new Action PlanLink opens in a new window that builds towards a future application for Silver.
Equality, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) Committee
This committee is responsible for ensuring that all students and staff, from across all sectors of society, are welcomed at Warwick and supported during their time at the Mathematics Institute.
The committee's members all meet once a term, with sub-groups meeting more regularly. If you would like to make suggestions for action, please contact:.
Forthcoming and Recent
- 8.11.23: EDI in the Mathematical SciencesLink opens in a new window.
- 18.10.23: Ada Lovelace DayLink opens in a new window
- 26.6.23: PhD Opportunities Link opens in a new window(Widening Participation Day).
- 12.5.23: Women in Mathematical Sciences Day Link opens in a new window
- 8.3.23: International Women's Day (Mimosa Cocktail EventLink opens in a new window)
- 7.3.23: Ask an AutisticLink opens in a new window event.
The Piscopia Initiative
The Mathematics Institute has a Local Committee from this fantastic student-led UK-wide society. Their aim is to provide women and non-binary mathematics students with:
- a platform to ask and receive information on doing a PhD,
- a UK-wide community of women & non-binary students and mathematics researchers,
in order to overcome existing barriers in the recruitment and retention of students from these communities.
Diversity in Mathematics
Wonderful student-led projects Link opens in a new windowon various topics, culminating in a new set of diversity-promoting posters for the Department.
Videos of interest (send us any you find!):
The EDI Committee are working on:
- Supporting a new 'diversity forum' whose members (from UGs -> Faculty) will create events to celebrate and support under-represented communities.
- Ensuring there are gender neutral toilets available on each floor of the Maths Institute. See Gender-Neutral FacilitiesLink opens in a new window for University-wide details.
- Considering how to develop a more inclusive education, for example, by looking into efforts to decolonise curriculaLink opens in a new window.
- Assessing University-wide provision for Milk Expression/Breastfeeding RoomsLink opens in a new window to decide whether Zeeman could host such a room.
- Developing this webpage, to contain more information (please contact us, if you have suggestions).