Eleni's work is characterised by an interdisciplinary focus (e.g. psychology, health services research, mental health) and aims to address key health issues. Her main interests are in the areas of behavioural and health psychology. Her research concentrates on the use of innovative interventions for improving health and health care systems. This involves understanding and changing behaviour in community and clinical populations.
Main research themes include:
- developing and evaluating novel methods to monitor and self-manage physical and mental health symptoms
- exploring risk and protective factors/ behaviours around physical and mental conditions
- understanding patients' and health care professionals' experiences and decision making processes
- patient/clinician communication
Key areas include:
- health behaviours (e.g. eating, physical activity), wellbeing (e.g. resilience, stress, quality of life);
- behaviour change & maintenance, self-management;
- user/ patient engagement, adherence to treatment/ therapies (incl. digital tools);
- trauma & orthopaedics, obesity, diabetes, depression, self-harm/ suicide
Eleni's research work uses a variety of quantitative and qualitative techniques, including randomized controlled trials, epidemiology, large-scale surveys, mixed methods, systematic literature reviews, psychometrics, intervention development and evaluation.
Eleni is a Senior Research Fellow at the Warwick Clinical Trials Unit and a Chartered Psychologist. She joined the University of Warwick as a Postdoctoral Researcher in 2010, and she has held posts in both the Warwick Medical School and the WMG Institute of Digital Healthcare. She gained her PhD in 2010 from the University of Leeds. She also holds an MSc in Health Psychology and a BSc (Hons) in Psychology. She has been teaching and supervising students on both Psychology and Medical courses (undergraduate & postgraduate). She has served as the Editor for the Midlands Health Psychology Network's Newsletter and she is an External Reviewer for a number of journals (e.g. JMIR, BMJ) and funding programmes (e.g. NIHR HTA, RfPB).
- McKeown, Rebecca, Ellard, David R., Rabiu, Abdul-Rasheed, Karasouli, Eleni, Kearney, Rebecca S., 2019. A systematic review of the measurement properties of patient reported outcome measures used for adults with an ankle fracture. Journal of Patient-Reported Outcomes, 3 (1)
- Patel, Chloe, Karasouli, Eleni, Shuttlewood, Emma, Meyer, Caroline, 2018. Food parenting practices among parents with overweight and obesity : a systematic review. Nutrients, 10 (12)
- Henshaw, Frederick, Karasouli, Eleni, King, Richard, Rahman, Usama, Langton, David, Madete, June, Otsyeno, Fred, Mutiso, Vincent, Atinga, John, Underwood, Martin, Williams, M. A., Metcalfe, Andrew J., 2018. Engineering standards for trauma and orthopaedic implants worldwide : a systematic review protocol. BMJ Open, 8 (10)
- Patel, Chloe, Karasouli, Eleni, Shuttlewood, Emma, Meyer, Caroline, 2018. Food Parenting Practices among Parents with Overweight and Obesity: A Systematic Review. Nutrients, 10 (12)
Griffiths, Frances, Armoiry, Xavier, Atherton, Helen, Bryce, Carol, Buckle, Abigail, Cave, Jonathan A. K., Court, Rachel A., Hamilton, Kathryn, Dliwayo, Thandiwe Rebecca, Dritsaki, Melina, Elder, Patrick, Forjaz, Vera, Fraser, Joe, Goodwin, Richard, Huxley, Caroline J., Ignatowicz, Agnieszka, Karasouli, Eleni, Kim, Sung Wook, Kimani, Peter K., Madan, Jason et al (Select to open full list), 2018.
- Sharpe, Emma Elizabeth, Karasouli, Eleni, Meyer, Caroline, 2017. Examining factors of engagement with digital interventions for weight management : rapid review. JMIR Research Protocols, 6 (10)
- Haycraft, Emma, Karasouli, Eleni, Meyer, Caroline, 2017. Maternal feeding practices and children's eating behaviours : a comparison of mothers with healthy weight versus overweight/obesity. Appetite, 116, pp. 395-400
- Bailey, Cara, Hewison, Alistair, Karasouli, Eleni, Staniszewska, Sophie, Munday, Daniel, 2016. Hospital care following emergency admission : a critical incident case study of the experiences of patients with advanced lung cancer and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 25 (15-16), pp. 2168-2179
- Karasouli, Eleni, Munday, Dan, Bailey, Cara, Staniszewska, Sophie, Hewison, Alistair, Griffiths, Frances, 2016. Qualitative critical incident study of patients' experiences leading to emergency hospital admission with advanced respiratory illness. BMJ Open, 6 (2), pp. 1-10
- Buckingham, Christopher D., Adams, Ann, Vail, Laura, Kumar, Ashish, Ahmed, Abu, Whelan, Annie, Karasouli, Eleni, 2015. Integrating service user and practitioner expertise within a web-based system for collaborative mental-health risk and safety management. Patient Education and Counseling, 98 (10), pp. 1189-1196
- Karasouli, Eleni, Owens, David, Latchford, Gary, Kelley, Rachael, 2015. Suicide after non-fatal self-harm : a population case-control study examining hospital care and patient characteristics. Crisis : The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, 36 (1), pp. 65-70
- Curtis, Kristina E., Karasouli, Eleni, 2014. An assessment of the potential of health promotion apps to support health behaviour change. Health Psychology Update, 23 (2), pp. 43-49
- Karasouli, Eleni, Adams, Ann, 2014. Assessing the evidence for e-resources for mental health self-management : a systematic literature review. JMIR Mental Health, 1 (1), pp. 1-9
- Karasouli, Eleni, Adams, Ann, 2014. Assessing the evidence for e-resources for mental health self-management : a systematic literature review. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 1 (1)
- Karasouli, Eleni, Latchford, Gary, Owens, David, 2014. The impact of chronic illness in suicidality : a qualitative exploration. Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine : An Open Access Journal, 2 (1), pp. 899-908
- Karasouli, Eleni, Owens, David, Abbott, Rachel L., Hurst, Keith, Dennis, Michael S., 2011. All-cause mortality after non-fatal self-poisoning : a cohort study. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 46 (6), pp. 455-462
|Title||Funder||Award start||Award end|
|ARTISAN||National Institute for Health Research (DoH)||01 Jun 2018||30 Nov 2021|
|Together driving 360 wellbeing Phase 1: A high level review of employee health risks, and associated business impact.||Jaguar Land Rover||01 Feb 2017||31 Aug 2017|
|CWPT - Research Development Funding: Piloting of an online self-help intervention aimed at reducing the risk of self-harm||Coventry and Warwickshire Partnership NHS Trust||01 Oct 2013||31 May 2014|