Public Health, Health Promotion, Disease Prevention.
Global Health and Planetary Health.
Health in All Policies.
Wider determinants of health.
Asset-based approaches and assets for health.
Sustainable Development Goals and Health.
Relationship between the environment and health.
Human health impacts of extreme weather events.
Vulnerability, Resilience, and Adaptation assessments.
Resilience building interventions.
Mixed methods research.
Ana Raquel Nunes has over 18 years' experience working across the field of public health, having held positions in universities, hospitals and in the World Health Organization (WHO). She began her career as a Biomedical Scientist and Public Health Researcher investigating the health impacts of heatwaves. More recently she worked as a Consultant for Living Environments at the WHO, where she was responsible for supporting the implementation, analysis and evaluation of the Local Housing and Health Action Plan (LHHAP) project
Raquel holds a PhD in Public Health and Environmental Sciences, a master degree in Public Health (MPH), where she specialised in health promotion and health protection, and a MPhil in Climate Change and Sustainable Development Policies. She holds a dual degree in Biomedical Science and Public Health.
Raquel has been involved in peer-reviewed work for the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change), NIHR (National Institute for Health Research), ESRC (Economic and Social Research Council), ICSU (International Council for Science), WIREs Climate Change, BMC Public Health, American Journal of Public Health (AJPH), Journal of Public Health (JPH), and the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). She was a member of the Netherlands' Government Review team, reviewing the Human Health Chapter for the Fifth Assessment Report of Working Group II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), organized by the PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency (2013).
Raquel was invited by the Science Policy Centre at the Royal Society to provide expert opinion on a range of biophysical interventions for improving resilience to heatwaves aiming at reducing the impact of hazards on people and communities on a project examining human resilience to extreme weather (2014).
Raquel was also invited to review the most recent report by the ICSU 'A guide to SDG interactions: from science to implementation' (2018).
Raquel joined the Warwick Medical School (WMS) in January 2015 and is currently a Senior Research Fellow. She contributes to research within the Warwick Medical School through the writing of grant proposals for funding and provides support and advice on research proposals for submission to peer-review funding for the Warwick hub of the NIHR Research Design Service West Midlands (NIHR RDS WM). Additionally, she also contributes to undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and supervision within the WMS (MB ChB, MPH, PhD).
- Mensah, Daniel, Nunes, Ana R., Bockarie, Tahir, Lillywhite, Robert, Oyebode, Oyinlola, 2020. Meat, fruit and vegetable consumption in sub-Saharan Africa : a systematic review and meta-regression analysis. Nutrition Reviews
- Nunes, Ana Raquel, 2020. Determinants of general and specified resilience to extreme temperatures. Weather, Climate, and Society, 12 (4), pp. 913-928
- Nunes, Ana Raquel, 2020. General and specified vulnerability to extreme temperatures among older adults. International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 30 (5), pp. 515-532
- Nunes, Ana R., 2018. The contribution of assets to adaptation to extreme temperatures among older adults. PLOS ONE, 13 (11)
- Nunes, A. R., Lee, K., O'Riordan, T., 2016. The importance of an integrating framework for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals : the example of health and well-being. BMJ Global Health, 1 (3)
- Nunes, A. R., Lorenzoni, I., Lake, Iain, Few, R., 2015. PP26 Growing old : the impact of health inequalities on the vulnerability, resilience and adaptation of older adults to extreme temperatures. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 69 (Suppl 1), pp. A63.2-A63
- Nunes, A. R., Lorenzoni, I., Lake, Iain, Few, R., 2015. PP71 The role of assets on the vulnerability, resilience and adaptation of older adults to extreme temperatures : evidence from a mixed method study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 69 (Suppl 1), pp. A83.1-A83
- Nunes, A. R., 2016. OP21 Developing a new mixed methods individual resilience measure (MMIRM) to environmental and health risks. 60th Annual Scientific Meeting, Society for Social Medicine, University of York, 14?16 September 2016, Published in Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health
- Nunes, A. R., Lorenzoni, Irene, Lake, Iain, 2014. Taking it to the extremes : resilience and adaptation to severe heat and cold health risks. Third International Science and policy Conference on the resilience of social & ecological systems, Montpellier France, 04-08 May 2014
- Nunes, A. R., Lorenzoni, Irene, Lake, Iain, Hulme, Mike, Adger, Neil, 2013. Taking it to the extremes : new frontiers in resilience and adaptation to severe heat and cold health risks. RGS-IBG Annual International Conference 2013, London, 27-30 Aug 2013
- Nunes, A. R., 2013. Taking it to the extremes : resilience and adaptation to severe heat and cold health risks. CIEH Conference 2013 - Public Health: Challenging Perceptions Climate Change in Action, 8-9 May 2013
- Nunes, A. R., 2012. Dimensions of resilience to extreme heat and cold risks. Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research Conference 2012, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK, 11-13 April 2012, Published in Knowledge gaps in climate change : conference proceedings, pp. 19-20
- Nunes, A. R., Lorenzoni, I., Lake, I., Hulme, M., Schmidt, L., Adger, W. N., 2012. Resilience in a changing world ? the health, social and environmental dimensions. 15th European Health Forum Gastein, Gastein, Austria, 3-6 Oct 2012
- Taylor, Rebecca, Nunes, A. R., Turk, Eva, 2010. Healthy ageing. European Health Forum Gastein Health in Europe ? Ready for the Future?, Bad Hofgastein, Austria, 6-9 Oct 2010, pp. 6-7
- Nunes, A. R., Weigert, Claudia, 2010. Identifying local housing and health priorities ? The LHHAP project. 13th European Health Forum Gastein : Health in Europe ? Ready for the Future?, Bad Hofgastein, Austria, 6-9 Oct 2010
- Nunes, A. R., 2016. Assets for health : linking vulnerability, resilience and adaptation to climate change. Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research
- Nunes, A. R., 2016. Review of Seven steps to a comprehensive literature review : a multimodal and cultural approach by Onwuegbuzie, A. J. and Frels, R.. LSE Review of Books, London School of Economics
- Nunes, A. R., 2013. Book review : The feeling of risk : new perspectives on risk perception. Public Understanding of Science, Sage Publications Ltd, pp. 648-648
- Nunes, A. R., 2012. Extreme cold events and fuel poverty in Portugal. EU Fuel Poverty Network
- Nunes, A. R., 2010. Local housing and health action plans. A project manual. World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe
|Title||Funder||Award start||Award end|
|Research Design Service renewal 2018||National Institute for Health Research (DoH)||01 Oct 2018||30 Sep 2023|