The aim of the module is to provide the theoretical underpinning and practice base to enable healthcare professionals to undertake an advanced clinical examination.
You will develop a range of skills and knowledge to support safe and effective autonomous practice when requesting and interpreting clinical investigations. This will include patients presenting with undifferentiated and undiagnosed primary and secondary care conditions across the age and acuity spectrum.
After studying this module you should understand:
- The key functional anatomy and physiology of the major body systems and related pathophysiological processes.
- The component parts of the consultation process in order to effectively manage patients with presenting with undifferentiated and undiagnosed problems.
- The practical elements to a top-to-toe physical examination and how to integrate this into the patient consultation
- The physiological changes associated with specific conditions / illnesses and the application of test results to the management of ill health
- The appropriate documentation and record keeping practices
- Professional body support for developing scope of practice (eg relevant accountability issues and ethics)
You should also have knowledge of the following investigations:
- Arterial Blood Gas Sampling & Interpretation
- Xray interpretation (chest, abdomen, pelvis and appendicular)
- Interpretation of blood results (haematology, biochemistry, microbiology)
Before completing the course, you will undertake our Induction and Professional Development module, introducing you to all the underpinning regulations, guidance and support available to you during your postgraduate study.
Course leader: Kirsti Soanes
Duration: 12 tutorial days
Course type: Module
Module code: MD9A6
Assessment: OSLER (Objective Structured Long Examination Record)
Portfolio of evidence of own clinical practice
Next Course Start:
Cohort A - Application Deadline: 23/08/2020
|Cohort A||Start Date|
|Day 2||07/10/2020 (online)|
|Day 3||14/10/2020 (online)|
|Day 5||24/11/2020 (online)|
|Day 7||Term 2 dates TBC|
|Day 8||Term 2 dates TBC|
|Day 9||Term 2 dates TBC|
|Day 10||Term 2 dates TBC|
|Day 11||Term 2 dates TBC|
|Day 12||Term 2 dates TBC|
Available on the following course:
Also available to study as a standalone Postgraduate Award.