The Health Improvement and Management for Public Health module is a core module of the Masters in Public Health. It can also be taken as an optional module for some other courses and as a Postgraduate Award.
The module will help you become familiar with approaches that are used in public health around health improvement. Health improvement is one of the three key domains of public health practice, the other domains being health protection and improving services (UK Faculty of Public Health).
(1) Health improvement, including approaches for assessing and making changes to improve the health of the population:
- Defining health promotion: overview of origins, health promotion frameworks / models to define the scope
- Planning and implementing health improvement strategies and policies: Health needs assessment, planning cycles
- Behaviour change (lifestyle approach): Health behaviour models, making every contact count, nudge approach
- Other approaches: e.g. Public policy approach, social marketing, community development
- Evaluation of health improvement interventions
(2) Management for Public Health, including management tools:
- Change management
- Understanding teams
- Management of the media
(3) Current and emerging topics in health improvement
- e.g. food and nutrition, mental health and wellbeing, sleep, physical activity
You will also have the opportunity to apply these approaches to public health needs in a geographical area.
Before completing the course, you will undertake our Induction and Professional Development module, introducing you to all the underpinning regulations, guidance and support available to you during your postgraduate study.
+44 (0)2476 574799
+44 (0)2476 522035
Duration: 5 days
Module Code: MH901
4,000 Word Assignment (90%)
Group Oral Presentation (10%)
Module running dates for the 2022/23 academic year will be available June 2022.
Next course start date: 07/03/2022
Application Deadline: 25/01/2022
Teaching scheduled is provisional and may change. It is therefore advised that you check individual module pages in advance of teaching.
Available on which courses? Optional module: Public Health MPH