I am a Senior Research Fellow based in the Superconductivity and Magnetism Group. I have over 12 years experience in materials synthesis, crystal growth and materials characterisation techniques.
Overview of my research work
My research work involves the crystal growth and study of single crystals of various compounds (oxides, borides, chalcogenides and intermetallic magnetic and superconducting materials). The materials that I am studying have a wide range of physical properties, from multiferroics and frustrated magnets to a variety of newly discovered exotic states of matter (Topological Insulators, Skyrmion lattices).
The investigation of the physics of all the materials that I produce at Warwick involves a wide range of techniques, including in house magnetic, thermodynamic and transport measurements, as well as the use of central facilities using X-ray diffraction, neutron scattering and muon spectroscopy techniques.
I am running the Microprocessors Laboratory, as part of the Physics Skills module for the 2nd year undergraduate students. Details are available on the PX271 webpage.
Other professional activities
Publications and preprints
A full list of my publications can be accessed here.
A list of some of the most recent research projects that I have been involved in can be accessed here.
- "Crystal growth by the floating zone method of Ce-substituted crystals of the topological Kondo insulator SmB6"
M. Ciomaga Hatnean, T. Ahmad, M. Walker, M. R, Lees, and G. Balakrishnan.
Crystals 10, 827 (2020).
- "Optical floating zone crystal growth of rare-earth disilicates, R2Si2O7 (R = Er, Ho, and Tm)"
M. Ciomaga Hatnean, O. A. Petrenko, M. R, Lees, T. E. Orton, and G. Balakrishnan.
Crystal Growth & Design 20, 6636-6648 (2020).
- "Single Crystal Growth of Metallic Rare Earth Tetraborides by the Floating Zone Technique"
D. Brunt, M. Ciomaga Hatnean, O. A. Petrenko, M. R. Lees, and G. Balakrishnan.
Crystals 9, 211 (2019).
- "Investigation on BaZrO3 single crystals grown at half its melting point temperature from flux and at 2700 C by optical floating zone techniques"
C. Xin, P. Veber, M. Guennou, C. Toulouse, N. Valle, M. Ciomaga Hatnean, G. Balakrishnan, R. Haumont, R. Saint Martin, M. Velazquez, A. Maillard, D. Rytz, M. Josse, M. Maglione, and J. Kreisel.
CrystEngComm 21, 502-512 (2019).
- "Evidence for dynamic kagome ice"
E. Lhotel, S. Petit, M. Ciomaga Hatnean, J. Ollivier, H. Mutka, E. Ressouche, M. R. Lees, and G. Balakrishnan.
Nature Communications 9, 3786 (2018).
- "Experimental signatures of emergent quantum electrodynamics in Pr2Hf2O7"
R. Sibille, N. Gauthier, H. Yan, M. Ciomaga Hatnean, J. Ollivier, B. Winn, U. Filges, G. Balakrishnan, M. Kenzelmann, N. Shannon, and T. Fennell.
Nature Physics 14, 711–715 (2018).
- "New route to a Fermi surface in the absence of a Fermi liquid: a Kondo insulator near the insulator-metal transition"
M. Hartstein, W. H. Toews, Y.-T. Hsu, B. Zeng, X. Chen, M. Ciomaga Hatnean, Q. R. Zhang, S. Nakamura, A. S. Padgett, G. Rodway-Gant, J. Berk, M. K. Kingston, G. H. Zhang, M. K. Chan, S. Yamashita, T. Sakakibara, Y. Takano, J.-H. Park, L. Balicas, N. Harrison, N. Shitsevalova, G. Balakrishnan, G. G. Lonzarich, R. W. Hill, M. Sutherland, and S. E. Sebastian.
Nature Physics 14, 166 (2018).
- "Disorder and Quantum spin ice"
N. Martin, P. Bonville, E. Lhotel, J. Robert, S. Guitteny, A. Wildes, C. Decorse, M. Ciomaga Hatnean, G. Balakrishnan, I. Mirebeau, and S. Petit.
Physical Review X 7, 041028 (2017).
- "Signatures of the Kondo effect in VSe2"
S. Barua, M. Ciomaga Hatnean, M. R. Lees, and G. Balakrishnan.
Scientific Reports 7, 10964 (2017).
- "Coulomb spin liquid in anion-disordered pyrochlore Tb2Hf2O7"
R. Sibille, E. Lhotel, M. Ciomaga Hatnean, G. Nilsen, G. Ehlers, A. Cervellino, E. Ressouche, M. Frontzek, O. Zaharko, V. Pomjakushin, H. C. Walker, D. Adroja, H. Luetkens, C. Baines, A. Amato, G. Balakrishnan, T. Fennell, and M. Kenzelmann.
Nature Communications 8, 894 (2017).
- "Single crystal growth, structure and magnetic properties of Pr2Hf2O7 pyrochlore"
M. Ciomaga Hatnean, R. Sibille, M. R. Lees, M. Kenzelmann, V. Ban, V. Pomjakushin, and G. Balakrishnan.
Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 29, 075902 (2016).
- "Zirconate Pyrochlore Frustrated Magnets: Crystal Growth by the Floating Zone Technique"
M. Ciomaga Hatnean, C. Decorse, M. R. Lees, O. A. Petrenko, and G. Balakrishnan.
Crystals 6, 79 (2016).
- "Observation of magnetic fragmentation in spin ice"
S. Petit, E. Lhotel, B. Canals, M. Ciomaga Hatnean, J. Ollivier, H. Mutka, E. Ressouche, A. R. Wildes, M. R. Lees, and G. Balakrishnan.
Nature Physics 12, 746-750 (2016).
- "Fluctuations and all-in--all-out ordering in dipole-octopole Nd2Zr2O7"
E. Lhotel, S. Petit, S. Guitteny, O. Florea, M. Ciomaga Hatnean, C. Colin, E. Ressouche, M. R. Lees, and G. Balakrishnan.
Physical Review Letters 115, 197202 (2015).
- "Unconventional Fermi surface in an insulating state"
B. S. Tan, Y.-T. Hsu, B. Zeng, M. Ciomaga Hatnean, N. Harrison, Z. Zhu, M. Hartstein, M. Kiourlappou, A. Srivastava, M. D. Johannes, T. P. Murphy, J.-H. Park, L. Balicas, G. G. Lon- zarich, G. Balakrishnan, and S. E. Sebastian.
Science 349, 287-290 (2015).
- "Growth of single-crystals of rare-earth zirconate pyrochlores, Ln2Zr2O7 (with Ln=La, Nd, Sm, and Gd) by the floating zone technique"
M. Ciomaga Hatnean, M. R. Lees, and G. Balakrishnan.
Journal of Crystal Growth 418, 1 (2015).
- "Structural and magnetic investigations of single-crystalline neodymium zirconate pyrochlore Nd2Zr2O7"
M. Ciomaga Hatnean, M. R. Lees, O. A. Petrenko, D. S. Keeble, G. Balakrishnan, M. J. Gutmann, V. V. Klekovkina, and B. Z. Malkin.
Physical Review B 91, 174416 (2015).
- "Large high quality single crystals of the new Topological Kondo Insulator, SmB6"
M. Ciomaga Hatnean, M. R. Lees, D. McK. Paul, and G. Balakrishnan.
Scientific Reports 3, 3071 (2013).
- "Neutron scattering study of the magnetoelectric compound GaFeO3"
M. Hatnean, J. Robert, M.T. Fernandez Diaz, E. Ressouche, A. Cousson, L. Pinsard-Gaudart, and S. Petit.
The European Physical Journal Special Topics 213, 69-76 (2012).
Department of Physics
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL
+44 (0)24 765 22329
+44 (0)24 761 50897
M dot Ciomaga-Hatnean at warwick dot ac dot uk
A full list of my publications can be accessed here.
Public Engagement, Widening Participation and Outreach
A list with some recent activities/events in which I was involved can be accessed here.
Read about my 2018 Public Engagement Story here.
Follow me on Twitter