The course aims to combine value creation with strategic development in a manufacturing environment. This is achieved through developing an understanding of the concepts of manufacturing systems, and the skills to analyse, design and implement manufacturing systems in practice. This is combined with an understanding of strategic and operational management of organisations. The course enables candidates to develop an up-to-date knowledge of manufacturing techniques and processes.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate mastery of manufacturing techniques and processes, and identify appropriate manufacturing techniques and processes for differing product types
- Combine strategic and operational issues in decision making, and use analytical tools and techniques to support such decision making
- Apply technology and quality tools and techniques to continuously improve the manufacturing operations of engineering companies
- Contribute to value creation in engineering companies through product and process development
- Contribute to the operations and financial management of manufacturing companies
Module Requirements for Manufacturing Systems Engineering and Management
Candidates for the MSc will be required to take 180 credits overall to include modules equivalent to at least 50 credits from the Required list and 20 credits from the Defined Elective list (if given below), as well as a dissertation project.
Candidates for the Postgraduate Diploma will be required to take either 120 module credits, with at least 50 credits from the Required list and 20 credits from the Defined Elective list (if given below), OR take 60 module credits with at least 50 credits from the Required list, as well as a dissertation project considered by an Exam Board to be a pass at Postgraduate Diploma level.
Candidates for the Postgraduate Certificate will be required to pass 60 credits, with at least 30 credits from the Required list.
Candidates for the Postgraduate Award will be required to pass 30 credits, with at least 20 credits from the Required list.
Definition of terms:
- Core: students must pass the module (50% or above)
- Optional core: students must take the stated proportion of modules from this list and must achieve a pass (50% or above).
- Required: students must achieve mark of 40% or above on the module
- Defined Elective: students must take the stated proportion of modules from this limited list
- Optional (elective) modules: students may take any remaining credits from this list after satisfying the list requirements outlined above
- Students are still required to achieve the stated amount of passed credits and credits failed in the 40s for award as per General PGT Regulations page
Course regulations are written as the basis on which awards can be made. They are not written to make any guarantee of which optional modules may be available in any location in a specific academic year.