A pair of drop-down lists enables the user to make a choice from a first list, then gets them to refine their choice with some corresponding options from a second list.
- Go to the form page that you wish to edit and ensure you are signed-in and have the necessary editing rights.
- Select Edit > Edit formsbuilder page or Edit this form from the bottom of the form. A list of edit options will appear on the left hand side of the form.
- Select the second option under the Allow the user to make a choice section - a pair of drop-down lists.
The Add/Edit a pair of drop-down lists edit screen will be displayed:
- Enter a Field name to be used in submission results. You will see this field is starred in red. This means this is a compulsory field and you will not be able to save the field until this is added. If the field name is self-explanatory, this can double as the label.
- Enter a Label for the text box visible to the user. Here you can provide detailed instructions for the user. If you leave the Label blank, then the Field name will be used.
- Type the first option for the first list in the Options field.
- Select the Add second list item button to create the options for the corresponding second list. You can add as many options as you need for the second list.
- Use the Add new item, to create a new option for the first list and continue to Add second list item for all the other options.
- Decide if you need a pre-selected item for both the first and second lists.
- If you wish the Label/instructions box to be on top, check this box. The default is that the label/instructions goes to the side.
- Decide if it is to be a Required field. This will star the field and the user will be unable to complete the form unless this field is completed.
- Decide if this element should be Only visible to editors.
- Select the Save button.
You will see that your new item has appeared on the form, along with a set of edit tool icons just to the left of the item.
The cross allows for deleting an item, the up and down arrow keys will allow you to move each item up and down one field at a time, and the last icon allows you to edit the item directly without having to go back into the form editing section. The selections will only work/be visible in the published view and not the editing view.
If you want to view the form, rather than add further elements, select the Done button, which is in the top right hand corner of the page.
Related help articles
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem