We provide a request and recall service - 'request a hold' to ensure that resources are available to as many customers as possible.
If all copies of a title are on loan, you can request a hold so that the next returned copy is held for you. Most items can be requested using the Library Catalogue.
Please note: This service is not available to external borrowers.
Undergraduate students can request a hold on 10 items at any one time.
Postgraduate students can request a hold on 20 items at any one time.
You can request that a hold be put on an item that is currently checked out to another customer providing there are no other loanable copies available. Click on the 'Request a Hold' button for the item in the Library Catalogue and then login when prompted.
If a book is on a long term loan, we will recall it for you.
Just ask at the Helpdesk if you need any assistance.
- Find the item you want to reserve and click on the Request a Hold button and then login to My Library Account
- Fill in any required information and click submit. At this stage if this is a multi-volume work you will be offered a form to select one of the volumes. The system will not allow you to request more than one volume of a multi-volume work
- Ask at the Heldpesk as Library staff can override the system and place hold requests on more than one volume of a multi- volume work
- Only current University Students and Staff can request holds
You will receive immediate confirmation that your request has been accepted.
The book I need is on loan for 3 months. Is it worth reserve-an-item it?
Yes. We will contact the person who has the book and inform them they need to return it within a week.
- You will receive an email sent to your University email address
- You can also login to the My Library Account section of the Library Catalogue to view your requested holds
- Items marked Waiting are ready for you to collect on a trolley next to the Helpdesk
- Please make a note of the classmark of the item(s) as you will need this to locate the item
- Please ensure that you borrow the correct book which will have your University of Warwick card number on the 'hold slip' inside the book
Important: Please check your issue receipt. If the book is required by other borrowers, standard loans automatically change to 3 Day Loans. This is to ensure that as many borrowers as possible get access to popular texts.
Note: If you have booked (reserved) a Short Loan item, it should be ready for you to collect, in the temporary Short Loan Area on Floor 3 extension, stack number 20.
- Hold requests are placed on a trolley next to the Helpdesk, to await collection
- Items held here are only available to those who have requested them and received an email to say they are ready for collection. You can collect and issue your hold items yourself - there is a Self-issue machine in this area
Please note: items will only be retained on the holdshelf for up to 4 days.
Standard Loan books are kept on the 'Hold' shelf for 4 days, 3 Day Loans for 3 days, after which, they are returned to the shelves. However, please try and collect holds as soon as possible, as other people may be waiting.
Note: 3 Day Loan and Standard loan books will be held for 1 week (7 days) for part time students and students registered with University Disability Services.
Yes, they will need to bring your Library card, together with a signed letter of permission from you. The letter needs to be dated for the actual day of collection.
I no longer need the book. What should I do?
Requested holds can be cancelled using the My Library Account section of the Library Catalogue, unless they are marked as Waiting. In which case, you should contact us by phoning 024 7652 2026 or email: mylibraryaccount at warwick dot ac dot uk, as someone else may be waiting for it.