15 undergraduate students from across a range of subject areas at Warwick will team up virtually with 15 counterparts from Shanghai Jiao Tong University over three weeks between 20 June - 13 July 2022 to consider Global Problems in Global Cities.
The programme considers this year's theme of 'Global Problems in Global Cities'. In particular how different nations have dealt with different crises and challenges with sessions considering this in the context of Asia, America and Europe.
Academic experts from SJTU and Warwick, who will support the student groups. Student groups will deliver group presentations at the end of the programme.
The activity aims to build students' skills and experience in intercultural communication, interdisciplinary collaboration, virtual group work, managing projects across multiple time zones and presentation.
When will the activity take place?
The activity will take place over three weeks between 20 June and 13 July 2022. Structured online sessions, which include lectures by esteemed academic colleagues shall take place on the following dates between the times of 17:00-19:45 GMT on each date:
Monday 20 June; Wednesday 22 June; Friday 24 June; Monday 27 June; Wednesday 29 June; Friday 1 July; Monday 4 July; Wednesday 6 July; Friday 8 July; Monday 11 July; Wednesday 13 July.
You must ensure that you are available for these dates and times when applying for the programme.
There shall also be group work and tasks to be undertaken outside of these hours.
What will I be doing?
Your team of students from Warwick and SJTU will consider the issues raised during the programme with input, advice and guidance from academics at both universities. You will then present your findings at a virtual event on 13 July 2022.
Who will I be working with?
You will work in mixed teams of Warwick and SJTU students from a range of disciplinary backgrounds, guided by academics from a broad range of departments at both institutions.
What will I need to know or bring to my team?
Just yourself and your learning from your course! Everyone will bring a different perspective and set of experiences/expertise to the project so there are no prerequisites, other than lots of enthusiasm for the topic.
Is there a cost to take part in the programme?
No, the programme is free of charge to 15 students selected from each university.
What will I get out of it?
- Plenty of intercultural experiences (e.g. working in multicultural teams, scheduling group meetings across multiple time zones, understanding communication etiquette in different cultures, communicating ideas across cultures, explaining your cultural context to others...the list goes on and on!)
- Presentation skills at virtual events
- A statement of participation and completion on your university transcript/Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR)
- A whole set of different perspectives on issues of great relevance to all of us
- A new set of friends and contacts in different departments at Warwick and SJTU!
1. Applications are open! APPLY HERELink opens in a new window
2. Application deadline: Friday 27 May 2022 @ 8:00am (GMT)
3. You will be informed of the outcome of your application by Thursday 3 June 2022
4. If you are successfully offered a place, you will need to confirm this by Monday 8 June 2022. Instructions will be provided on next steps when you are informed of the outcome of your application.
Friday 27 May 2022 @ 8:00am (GMT)