Alternative Examination Arrangements
Alternative Exam Arrangements
If you require alternative exam arrangements on disability grounds, please make an appointment with the Disability TeamLink opens in a new window as soon as you can. Following that discussion and with your consent, your Department and the Exams Office will be informed of any adjustments required for examinations. Any disability related arrangements will be put in place for the duration of your course and you don't have to renew them every year unless you believe your support requirements should be reviewed as a result of a change in your condition or circumstances. In that instance, please contact the Disability Team to discuss any required changes.
Types of arrangements may include:
- extra writing time
- use of a PC
- a scribe or amanuensis
- stop the clock rest breaks
- a separate or smaller room
- a reader
We will ask for some supporting evidence to inform conversations about alternative exam arrangements. Supporting evidence must be in English, typed, on headed paper , dated and signed by a qualified professional. Examples of supporting evidence include:
- A comprehensive diagnostic report for Specific Learning Differences carried out by a qualified professional with a practicing certificate
- A diagnostic report or medical evidence of AS, ADHD, or a mental health disability.
- Medical evidence from your GP or other suitable medical professional that states the nature of the condition, the impact on your studies and any recommendations for alternative exam arrangements.
- If you don't have any medical evidence of disability you can ask a medical professional to complete this medical evidence form.
Reasonable adjustments for examinations are not automatically put in place if you have declared a disability, you must make an appointment with the Disability team to discuss your requirements before these can be agreed.
We will take all reasonable steps to make appropriate adjustments in accordance with academic standards and based on individual requirements.
The university-wide (excluding MBChB) deadlines for Alternative Exam Arrangement requests in 2021/22 are:
- December, January and March Examination Period: Thursday 10th November 2022 - 16.00
- April, May and summer Examination Period: Thursday 2nd March 2023 - 16.00
- September 2022 resits: Monday 24th July 2023- 16.00
If you are an MBChB student in WMS, the deadlines for Alternative Exam Arrangement requests for the 2021/22 academic year are:
|March/April 2023||Phase III Finals||Wednesday 11th January 2023 - 12 noon|
|June/July 2023||Phase I Summative||Monday 8th May 2023 - 12 noon|
|September/October 2023||Phase II Summative||Monday 7th August 2023 - 12 noon|
Requests for alterative exam arrangements outside these deadlines can not be accommodated for the current academic year, unless there are exceptional and unforeseen circumstances that would have prevented students from engaging with us within these deadlines. Any requirements past these deadlines will be implemented for examinations in the following academic year. In that instance, students are also advised to liaise with their Departments to discuss submitting mitigating circumstances in accordance with the University's policyLink opens in a new window on mitigating circumstances.