Alternative Exam Arrangements
If you require alternative exam arrangements on disability grounds, please make an appointment with the Disability TeamLink opens in a new window as soon as you can. Following that discussion and with your consent, your Department and the Exams Office will be informed of any adjustments required for examinations. Any disability related arrangements will be put in place for the duration of your course and you don't have to renew them every year unless you believe your support requirements should be reviewed as a result of a change in your condition or circumstances. In that instance, please contact the Disability Team to discuss any required changes.
Types of arrangements may include:
- extra writing time
- use of a PC
- a scribe or amanuensis
- stop the clock rest breaks
- a separate or smaller room
- a reader
You must provide evidence in order to support any request for alternative exam arrangements. Supporting evidence must be in English, typed, on headed paper , dated and signed by a qualified professional. Examples of appropriate forms of evidence include:
- A comprehensive diagnostic report for Specific Learning Differences carried out by a qualified professional with a practicing certificate
- A diagnostic report or medical evidence of AS, ADHD, a mental health disability.
- Medical evidence from your GP or other suitable medical professional that states the nature of the condition, the impact on your studies and any recommendations for alternative exam arrangements.
- If you don't have any medical evidence of disability you can ask a medical professional to complete this medical evidence form.
Reasonable adjustments for examinations are not automatically put in place if you have declared a disability, you must make an appointment with the Disability team to discuss your requirements before these can be agreed. Please note that JCQ Form 8's, Individual Learning Plans, letters from your former educational provider and Education, Health and Care Plans are not accepted forms of evidence.
We will take all reasonable steps to make appropriate adjustments in accordance with academic standards and based on individual requirements.
The university-wide (excluding MBChB) deadlines for Alternative Exam Arrangement requests in 2021/22 are:
- December, January and March Examination Period: Thursday 11th November 2021 - 16.00
- April, May and summer Examination Period: Thursday 3rd March 2022 - 16.00
If you are an MBChB student in WMS, the deadlines for Alternative Exam Arrangement requests for the 2021/22 academic year are:
|March/April 2022||Phase III Finals||Monday 7th February 2022 - 17:00|
|June/July 2022||Phase I Summative||Tuesday 3rd May 2022 - 17:00|
|September/October 2022||Phase II Summative||Monday 8th August 2022 - 17:00|
Requests for alterative exam arrangements outside these deadlines can not be accommodated for the current academic year, unless there are exceptional and unforeseen circumstances that would have prevented students from engaging with us within these deadlines. Any requirements past these deadlines will be implemented for examinations in the following academic year. In that instance, students are also advised to liaise with their Departments to discuss submitting mitigating circumstances in accordance with the University's policyLink opens in a new window on mitigating circumstances.