Alternative Exam Arrangements
If you have a disability and you require alternative exam arrangements, please make an appointment with Disability Services as soon as you can. Following that discussion and with your consent, your Department and the Exams Office will be informed of any adjustments required on disability grounds for examinations.
Types of arrangements may include:
- extra writing time
- use of a PC
- a scribe or amanuensis
- stop the clock rest breaks
- a separate or smaller room
- a reader
You must provide evidence in order to support any request for alternative exam arrangements. supporting evidence must be in English, typed, on headed paper , dated and signed by a qualified professional. Examples of appropriate forms of evidence include:
- A comprehensive diagnostic report for Specific Learning Differences carried out by a qualified professional with a practicing certificate
- A diagnostic report or medical evidence of ASD, ADHD, a mental health disability.
- Medical evidence from your GP or other suitable medical professional that states the nature of the condition, the impact on your studies and any recommendations for alternative exam arrangements.
- If you don't have any medical evidence of disability you can ask a medical professional to complete this medical evidence form.
Reasonable adjustments for examinations are not automatically put in place if you have declared a disability, you must make an appointment with the Disability team to discuss your requirements before these can be agreed. Please note that JCQ Form 8's, Individual Learning Plans, letters from your former educational provider and Education, Health and Care Plans are not accepted forms of evidence.
We will take all reasonable steps to make appropriate adjustments. To ensure there is no potential compromise of academic standards, we will assess each case on an individual basis.
The deadlines for 2019.20 are:
-for December, January and March exams: Thursday 21st November 2019
-for April, May and June exams: Thursday, 5th March 2020
The deadlines for the MBChB course are:
- year 1 Friday 1st May 2020
- year 2 Monday 3rd August 2020
-year 4 Monday 6th January 2020
Requests for alterative exam arrangements outside these deadlines will not be accommodated for the current academic year, unless there are exceptional and unforeseen circumstances that would have prevented students from engaging with us within these deadlines. Any requirements past these deadlines will be implemented for examinations in the following academic year. In that instance, students are also advised to liaise with their Departments to discuss submitting mitigating circumstances if relevant.