What is Disabillity?
In the UK disability is defined by the Equality Act 2010 as a physical or mental health condition that has a long term, 12 months or more, and substantial impact on day to day activities. At University, a disability might affect a student's academic performance and their overall student experience.
What Type of Support can we Offer?
The Disability team offer support to all students at the University with disabilities or specific learning differences including EU and International students.
The support can include:
- General advice and guidance
- Initial screenings and exploring a full diagnostic assessment of specific learning differences (i.e. dyslexia)
- Specialist study skills tuition
- Exam arrangements
- Help with accessing mental health support
- Equipment Loans
- Access to assistive software
- Accessible accommodation arrangements
- Accessible parking arrangements
- Campus orientation support for blind/partially sighted students
- Notetaking, library assistance or other enabling support
Please note that the University and the Disability team do not offer personal care support to students. Personal care support refers to help with showering, toiletting, food preparation, laundry, shopping etc. and students have to make private arrangements for that support. If you have any personal care requirements please contact us to discuss alternative options. We can provide you with links to local agencies and organisations that provide personal care support and you can approach them to make your own arrangements prior to starting your course at the University.
All our services are confidential. We seek students' explicit permission to share information with other parties, only when they need to be made aware of any support or adjustments. Without your knowledge and permission we will not forward any information relating to your requirements to anyone else.
Contact the Disability team
through the Wellbeing Services portal or call us on +44 (0)24 76575570.
Contact the International Students Office
The University's International Office also provides useful information. You can find their details here