Skip to main content Skip to navigation

International Students

What does the term disability cover?

In the UK disability is defined by the Equality Act 2010 as a condition that has a long term, 12 months or more, and a substantial impact on day to day activities. That covers both seen and unseen conditions. You can find more information about the different types of disability at this page. At University, a disability can affect a student's academic performance and their overall student experience. In order to help students manage any impact the University offers a range of support services.

What type of support is offered?

The Disability team offer support to all disabled students at the University including EU and International students.

The support can include:

  • General advice and guidance
  • Initial screenings and exploring a full diagnostic assessment of specific learning differences (i.e. dyslexia)
  • Specialist study skills or mentoring support
  • Exam arrangements
  • In the academic year 2021/22, transcription support in the form of human editing of any available automated transcripts that are problematic in terms of accuracy, requests are considered on an individual disability need basis
  • Information about the support and services offered in the LibraryLink opens in a new window including the RNIB bookshare
  • Information about assistive software and productivity tools
  • Accessible accommodation arrangements
  • Enabling support such as campus orientation, support with note taking, library assistance
  • Signposting to other support offered through Wellbeing and Student Support

You can find more specific information about the support offered for specific disabilities here.

Personal care support

The University and the Disability team can not offer personal care support to students. Personal covers support refers to help with showering, toileting, food preparation, laundry, shopping etc. and students have to make private arrangements for that support. If you have any personal care requirements please contact us to discuss alternative options. We can provide you with links to local agencies and organisations that provide personal care support and you can approach them to make your own arrangements prior to starting your course at the University. We can advise you and help you make these arrangements as much as we can but we will not be able to provide that type of support.


All our services are confidential. Students have to give us explicit permission to share information with their Departments, when they need to be made aware of any support or adjustments needed. Without your knowledge and permission we will not forward any information relating to your requirements to anyone else and we don't share any information with external parties. If you access any support at the University this will not be mentioned on your degree, course transcripts or in any other University document.

Contact the Disability team

We encourage students who are worried about any difficulties that could be related to a disability to get in touch with us to discuss how we can help. You can contact us through the Wellbeing Services portal or call us on +44 (0)24 76575570.

Immigration and other specialist advice

You can find additional information about immigration and other specialist advice offered to International students at this page.