Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Long Term Physical Illness or Health Conditions

If you have a long term medical condition such as diabetes, M.E., epilepsy, Crohn's, we can support you with managing the impact on your studies during your time at university. We will ask you to provide supporting evidence to inform the discussions we have with you about support and reasonable adjustments. If you don't have any supporting evidence you can use this medical evidence formLink opens in a new window and ask your GP or other medical professional to complete it. Our service can support you by looking into:

  • Suitable on campus accommodation, including adjustments, such as access to a fridge in your room for medication. You can see further information about this here.
  • Exam arrangements that you may require for example, rest breaks, permission to take in food, extra time, testing equipment. You can see more information about this here.
  • In the academic year 2021/22, transcription support in the form of human editing of any available automated transcripts that are problematic in terms of accuracy, requests are considered on an individual disability need basis
  • Liaising with your department with your consent to discuss any impact and other support required for example with attendance, flexibility with deadlines etc.
  • The radio based emergency alarm that is available to students on campus with overnight medical needs
  • We can advise on how to apply for Disabled Student Allowance if eligible so that you have access to assistive software, ergonomic equipment, specialist mentoring, study skills and other support
  • We can provide information about personal evacuation plans
  • We can provide information about other services offered for example in the Library including the quiet study spaces and productivity toolsLink opens in a new window to help you with your studies.