Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Care leavers

Are you (considering) studying at Warwick having left care?

The prospect of embarking upon a university course can be a daunting one for anybody these days. For care leavers, it can be even more intimidating. Care leavers may have additional considerations when applying and studying in higher education. These should not, however, be seen as barriers to entering or progressing at university.

At the University of Warwick we are committed to supporting students. We have a range of different ways to support you should you need it whilst studying with us.

If you have lived in care, either with foster carers or in a children’s home and you’re applying to the University of Warwick, we hope this information will help you know what additional support you are entitled to, if you wish to take advantage of this. This could include finance, accommodation and other support services. We know not all students will want to use our services and you are under no obligation to do so but we believe it is still useful to know exactly what is available and to keep updated, if you decide you need additional help or support at a later date.

And don’t worry...

  • we will only share your information with those who need to know, and who you agree should be informed
  • your application will not be disadvantaged in any way. Legislation on equality and discrimination is watertight
Support we offer

Everyone is different. That’s why we’ll work with you to create a personalised package of support. This package can be reviewed at any time to suit you. You might like to contact the university's outreach team for an initial chat in the first instance.

The University offers a network of support available to Warwick students. You are welcome to contact us with any queries or concerns.

Examples of issues support colleagues may be able to help with are:

Providing you with student funding help and advice

Further information can be found at:

Student Funding
Care Leavers Association regarding support from your local authority
Stand Alone

Providing you with accommodation advice

If you have specific accommodation needs, please contact the University for advice. (vacation accommodation is generally available to book – please ask for advice)

Information can be found at:
Baljit Gill - Outreach Officer (Experience Warwick)
Wellbeing Support Services
Warwick Accommodation
Students’ Union

Supporting you with academic issues, including liaising with your academic department and tutors if you wish

You will be allocated a personal tutor/supervisor, whilst at Warwick and we suggest that this person is aware of anything which impacts your ability to study.

Information can be found at:
Your academic department (Personal Tutor/ Supervisor/Department Senior Tutor/Dean of Students)
Students’ Union

Offering advice about other University services - Wellbeing Support can signpost you to relevant services.
Being someone to talk to if you need to -
Wellbeing Support is always happy to be a first port of call.
Offering you Study Skills support -
Student Careers & Skills and the Library can help.
Meeting you at University events, such as Open Days

Information can be found at:
Claire Edden - Outreach Officer (Experience Warwick)
Wellbeing Support Services
Students’ Union