Module leader: Phil McCash
Module running in 2017/18 and 2018/19
The Training and Coaching module enables participants to develop practice in peer training and developing a coaching or mentoring relationship. The module is designed to develop reflective practice in these areas focusing on: principles of course design; training roles; theories of learning; course delivery; assessment and evaluation; and models of coaching or mentoring.
By the end of the module the student should be able to:
- Describe principles of course design.
- Define training roles.
- Identify theories of learning.
- Outline models of coaching or mentoring.
- Identify skills in planning, design, facilitation, assessment and evaluation.
- Critically analyse and evaluate the knowledge and understanding listed above through undertaking a training session and a coaching or mentoring relationship.
- Integrate theory and practice in training and coaching.
- Develop training and coaching skills on the basis of the evaluation and analysis undertaken
- Apply knowledge and understanding to at least two training and coaching activities.
- Communicate in written and oral form by integrating, analysing and applying key texts and professional practices.
- Articulation of participants’ prior experience in training and coaching.
- Principles of course design.
- Training, coaching and mentoring roles.
- Theories of learning, for example, experiential learning.
- Writing learning outcomes.
- Planning, design and facilitation.
- Principles of coaching and mentoring contracts.
- Assessment of learning outcomes and evaluation.
- Use of the above to underpin training and coaching practice via role plays and scenarios.
- Professional ethics, theoretical perspectives and values associated with training and coaching in a careers work context, for example, client-centredness, impartiality, client learning, reflective practice and respect for diversity.
Summary of teaching
30 hours of blended learning consisting predominantly of an intensive, residential workshop with further materials provided via a virtual learning environment supported by webinar and/or tutorial support. The residential is advertised in the AGCAS training calendar as Training the Trainers and this is followed by online material on Coaching and Mentoring.
Module timing and duration
Usually, this module runs once a year. Participants are allowed 5 months to complete.
The assignment consists of a 5000 word project (100%). Typically, the project entails facilitating a training session and a coaching or mentoring relationship and reflecting on these activities in theoretical terms in order to enhance practice. Before enrolling on this module, you must ensure that you will be able to enage in training and coaching activities within the 5 month timescale.