Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Entry requirements

I am worried about the level of qualifications that I currently have. Will I be considered?

For any of our undergraduate courses, the answer is yes. There are no formal requirements for our Gateway to HE, 2+2 degree pathway, part-tme undergraduate BA and foundation degrees. Applicants will be considered on the strength of their individual application, experience, and performance at interview.

I am currently studying for a degree elsewhere. Can I transfer to CLL on a part-time basis?

It depends which course you are doing and which course you would like to study with us. The University’s Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) procedure offers further information and you should also talk to the relevant Course Selector - please use our Staff page and select the appropriate subject area from the drop down list under "Course Teams" to find out who to contact. Please note that APL is NOT available for our BA (Hons) Person-centred Counselling and the Psychotherapeutic Relationship degree.

It is sometimes possible to transfer credits from a postgraduate diploma to go towards a masters degree. However,

it depends on the course and when the qualification was taken. Current students can explore upgrading their qualification with their personal tutor.

I have a Bachelor’s degree but do not hold a GCSE in Maths and/or English. Can I apply for a postgraduate course?

It depends on which course you would like to study. Some postgraduate courses require these qualifications such as MA Social Work. For our Postgraduate Diploma in Education (Further Education and Skills Sector), you are required to have a grade C or above, or an equivalent Level 2 qualification, in English and Maths. The information about specific entry requirements should be included on the course page - please visit the Courses section for details.

How do I know if there are any places left available on a course?

As long as applications are still open, places will still be available. This holds true for our short courses as well as degrees.

Are my O-Level qualifications still valid?

Choosing the right course

I am interested in studying for a part-time degree but have never studied in higher education before. Is there a course I can take to try it out before I commit?
Yes, the Warwick Gateway to HE or one of our short courses.

Is it possible to study online or do I have to attend the university?
The majority of our courses are based at the university, so you will attend lectures and seminars here. We do offer an Online iteration of our Mindfulness for Everyday Living course, and any courses that are for online study will be clearly labelled on the course pages. Some of our postgraduate courses have more flexibility and while you still attend campus other elements are offered via distance learning. These details are found on each course page.

In order to study for the part-time degree in Counselling, will I need to complete the Introduction to Counselling course first?
It is not a mandatory requirement to study this course, but it is beneficial to your application for the degree if you have some previous study or experience of counselling. People who successfully complete the Introduction to Counselling course are guaranteed an interview for the BA (Hons) Person-centred Counselling and the Psychotherapeutic Relationship degree.

Which are the partner colleges for the 2+2 degree?

The 2+2 degree is offered at 2 partner colleges:
Coventry College
North Warwickshire & South Leicestershire College

Fees and funding

What funding is available for my course?
For information on student funding, please visit the Student Funding pages.

I need to withdraw from a short course that has not yet started for personal reasons. Am I entitled to a refund?
Before the start of a course, a full refund will be given with written notice received when there are more than 5 working days prior to the start of the course. 5 or less working days notice will incur a 25% charge of the course fee and failure to attend without notice will incur a 100% course fee charge.


Can I do a course at the Centre for Lifelong Learning whilst working full-time? If so, which courses?

Yes, you can study for one of our short courses, Warwick Gateway to HE (evenings starting in autumn term), and you may be able to study a part-time degree - although you would need to take some advice as choices would be limited as we don't offer many evening modules. Please see the modules on each course page to check the availability of evening modules for specific courses.

Do you offer any courses by distance learning?
All of our courses require some in-person attendance at the University. A number of our courses are offered by blended learning (mixture of attendance-based and online teaching). Please visit our Courses pages for more information.

How often do I need to attend lectures at the University if I study one of your courses?
It depends on the course and whether you study on a full-time or part-time basis. Also, some courses might be taught using blended learning (mixture of attendance-based and online teaching). Please visit our Courses pages for more information.

If I am unable to attend a class, will this be a problem?
Students should attend all classes. However, the University recognises that this isn’t always possible. If you are unable to attend a class, you should contact your tutor. If your absence is going to be ongoing, you may need to consider taking a temporary withdrawal.

Support and information

I would like to register my interest in a course and be alerted about the next start dates. Where can I do this and when can I apply?
Register your details on our mailing list and we will send you monthly updates about our courses including details of their start dates and how you can apply. Please see the appropriate course page as it is possible that information about the next start date may be included on some course pages.

I would like to find out more about the student experience during and after a course. How can I access this information?

We have various students who are happy to talk about their experiences on our Ask a student page. You might also like to look at some of our information on facilities and extra-curricular activities, on our Create Your Warwick Story pages or on go directly to go our student success stories.

If you are able to attend one of our open events, staff will also be able to talk to you about how different students experience their courses.

What support do you offer for people with special needs?
The University has a Disability Services team who can assess any student with special needs and advise us on the best way to support you. We aim to make all of our teaching as accessible as possible, but please let staff know what you would find helpful and we will do our best to help.
Is it possible to meet with anyone in the department to discuss a course before I start it?

We offer opportunities for you to come into the Centre throughout the year through open days and some course specific open events. We also offer open door events, which allow you to book a date and time slot to come in and talk to a member of staff. Please see our Events page for full details of any upcoming events.

Accreditation and qualifications

How many credits do I need to study to achieve each qualification?
30 for Certificate, 240 for Foundation degree, 360 for BA (Hons) degree, 20 for Postgraduate Award, 60 for Postgraduate Certificate, 120 for Postgraduate Diploma, 180 for MA.

How much time can I expect to spend studying on each course?
For any of our accredited courses, you should aim to study for around 10 hours per credit that the course is worth.

I am interested in applying to one of the Career Studies courses (CDCS or CEIGHE)...

How much will the course that I am interested in cost all together?
Please see the relevant course fees page for the course that you wish to study for a breakdown of financial costs.
When can I apply for the particular course that I am interested in?

You can apply at any time for these course as there are two intakes per year: April and October. Depending on when you apply you will be considered for either one of these intakes. If you would like to start on a particular date, we do recommend that you include this in your personal statement in your application. We would advise you to apply at least eight weeks before a particular start date to ensure that your application is processed and considered in time.

Can I pay for the course in instalments?

Yes, you can pay for any of the career studies courses one module at a time if you wish.

Will I have to re-apply if I want to upgrade the qualification I am studying, for example, from a Certificate to a Diploma or from a Diploma to a Masters degree?
No, you would not have to re-apply if you chose to do this. You may top-up module by module once you have been accepted onto the particular course that you have applied for.