Are you interested in taking your first steps in coaching, to unlock your potential and the potential of others? If so, the online Foundations of Coaching Practice is for you. This level 4 certificate, will provide you with a strong foundation, covering all of the fundamental skills of coaching. You will learn the theory and practice the skills to enable you to confidently start your coach development journey. This online course includes sixteen 3-hour workshops, plus access to our virtual learning environment and e-library, so you can study in the comfort of your preferred location.
This online course offers you a foundation of relevant models and practical skills that will equip you to engage in purposeful coaching and mentoring conversations and relationships. If you are new to coaching this course has been developed for you, focussing on the development of core coaching skills: listening, questioning and structuring a coaching and mentoring conversation. You will explore the spectrum from directive to non-directive approaches, and the contrast between coaching and mentoring, encouraging you to identify where you wish to operate in your own practice.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
The online workshops will take place on Tuesdays from 10am-1pm. The dates for the workshops can be found below:
Tuesday 18 January, Tuesday 1 February, Tuesday 15 February, Tuesday 1 March and Tuesday 15 March 2022.
Tuesday 12 April, Tuesday 26 April, Tuesday 10 May, Tuesday 24 May, Tuesday 7 June and Tuesday 21 June 2022.
Venue: Distance Learning
The topics you will cover on the Foundations in Coaching Practice certificate are as follows:
- Listening, questioning and playing back
- Coaching frameworks
- Directive and non-directive coaching and mentoring
- Ethical issues in coaching and mentoring
- Managing a coaching or mentoring relationship over time
- Tools used in coaching and mentoring
- Emotional intelligence and coaching
- Developing your own coaching practice
- Coaching and mentoring in organisations
- Demonstrate an understanding of a range of ideas, tools and frameworks relevant to coaching and mentoring
- Describe the underlying ethical and practical issues in coaching and mentoring (e.g. confidentiality, managing boundaries)
- Develop and demonstrate the basic coaching skills, such as listening, questioning and playing back
- Have an understanding, and be able to articulate, a personal approach to coaching or mentoring taking into account the context within which you operate and the needs of your clients
Summative: 1 x 2,000-word assignment (70%) and a recorded coaching practice, which the student themselves critically evaluates (30%).
Formative: feedback on coaching and mentoring practice with other participants.
Studying online is a great way to learn at a location to suit you, so you can learn about coaching remotely and benefit from online real-time bite-sized virtual workshops with a tutor and other students. As well as learning about coaching, you will also practice the skills of coaching. There is additional flexibility which allows you to log in anywhere with internet access and access our online virtual learning environment (Moodle).